Error in CASE statement

• Can anyone tell me why this statement works on one server (dev) but sometimes blows up on another (qa)? (Error converting data type nvarchar to numeric.)

UPDATE @tblReportDetail

SET Measure =

CASE

WHEN @MeasureSpecial = 0 THEN CAST(ddf.FieldValue AS decimal(20,2))

WHEN @MeasureName = 'Hard Cost' THEN it.HardCost

WHEN @MeasureName = 'Soft Cost' THEN it.SoftCost

WHEN @MeasureName = 'RVU' THEN it.RVU

END

FROM blah blah blah...

I know it's the CASE stmt because if i replace it with a 0 it works fine. The Measure field is decimal(20,2), and so are HardCost, SoftCost and RVU.

• (Error converting data type nvarchar to numeric.)

UPDATE @tblReportDetail

SET Measure =

CASE

WHEN @MeasureSpecial = 0 THEN CAST(ddf.FieldValue AS decimal(20,2))

WHEN @MeasureName = 'Hard Cost' THEN it.HardCost

WHEN @MeasureName = 'Soft Cost' THEN it.SoftCost

WHEN @MeasureName = 'RVU' THEN it.RVU

END

You are having to CAST ddf.FieldValue as decimal(20,2) so I'm thinking ddf.FieldValue is most likely an nvarchar column, right?. Odds are there is some non-numeric data in the QA system database in that column.

You can use the ISNUMERIC function to query the QA data and find any values that are going to make the CAST statement throw that error. You could also add either of the following to your UPDATE query.

WHERE ISNUMERIC(ddf.FieldValue) = 1

or

WHEN @MeasureSpecial = 0 and ISNUMERIC(ddf.FieldValue) = 1 THEN CAST(ddf.FieldValue AS decimal(20,2))

WHEN @MeasureSpecial = 0 and ISNUMERIC(ddf.FieldValue) = 0 THEN NULL -- or zero, or whatever

Let me know if this helps, or if you have any questions.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I think you're right, some numeric default values were changed (to empty string). I'll add the code you suggest to set to zero in the event that value is not numeric. Thanks!

• You're welcome. Have a good weekend.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Just to be safe you should read this thread where it is pointed out that IsNumeric can return true in some odd cases like "+" and currency symbols.

• Owch, I forgot all about that. You're exactly right, Jack. Good save, and thank you.

The thread is definitely worth reading in it's entirety, because the test you build depends entirely on how you want to cast your data: numeric, float, integer, etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply