Error handling/notification with a sql agent job

• I have a stored procedure that is returning a set of data from a table and then is populating a summary table with that data. if sussful I am deleting all the data from the first table. if there is an error I do not want to delete the data and notify me if it fails. I am using a try-catch on the stored proc so if the insert fails it falls to the catch. in the SQL agent job I know, I can set a notification on failure. Will the SQL agent job detect my catch as a failure?

• It depends. Can you show us what is in your CATCH block?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Create procedure [dbo].[TO_POPULATE_ISD_MonthEndDetail] AS
    begin Try

insert into [dbo].[U5TO_ISD_MONTHENDDETAIL] ([MOD_DOCID], [MOD_STORENO], [MOD_STOREORG], [MOD_AIMDATE], [MOD_PARTCOUNT],
    [MOD_PRT], [MOD_QTY], [MOD_AVP], [MOD_BATCHID], [MOD_CREATEDATE], [MOD_MONTHYEAR])

SELECT
    [ISD_DOCID], [ISD_STORENO], [ISD_STOREORG], [ISD_AIMDATE], [ISD_PARTCOUNT], [ISD_PRT], [ISD_QTY], [ISD_AVP], [ISD_BATCHID], [ISD_CREATEDATE],
    RIGHT('00' + CAST(DATEPART(MM, GETDATE()) AS VARCHAR(2)) , 2) + '/'+ CAST(DATEPART(YYYY, GETDATE()) AS VARCHAR(4)) [MONTHYEAR]
    FROM (
    SELECT *, DENSE_RANK() OVER(PARTITION BY [ISD_STOREORG] ORDER BY ISD_CREATEDATE DESC) AS rank_num
    FROM [U5TO_InventoryStoreDetails]
    ) AS derived1
    WHERE rank_num = 1

end try
    begin catch

SELECT ERROR_MESSAGE() AS ErrorMessage;

END catch
  • That won't do it. When processing is transferred to your CATCH block, your SELECT merely returns the error message and the error is swallowed. I suggest the following slight modification:

begin catch
    SELECT ERROR_MESSAGE() AS ErrorMessage;
    THROW;
    END catch

This will ensure that the calling application (SQL Agent) knows about the error.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thank you, i forgot about Throw (just like in C#) I am a C# developer and so so on SQL

• I would suggest putting all of the logic in the one procedure - instead of separate steps in an agent job.  Start a transaction, perform your insert and delete in a try/catch, commit after the delete.  If it fails, perform a rollback in the catch and throw an error so the agent job fails and notification is sent on failure.

Another option - slightly different, would be to perform the delete first using the OUTPUT parameter into a temp table (or table variable) and then insert into your monthly table from the temp table.  You would still wrap this all in a transaction and rollback on failure...

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply