Error encountered during creation of databases: CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5(Access is denied.)

• Solution found!

It turned out for mount points there are two 'security' tabs that you can set up access rights for different accounts.

Please see attachment "old_security_tabl.jpg": the first 'security' tab from right clicking the folder icon of 'S:\SQL\userdbdata01' and selecting ''properties". This is where I set up all the "full control"'s that I thought should have worked.

Please see attachment "properties_button.jpg": the property button that you can use to pop up another property setting dialog box when you can set 'security' again (see attachment 'new_security_tab.jpg').

And it turned out all the access right settings on the new security tab are substantially different from those configured on the old security tab. And unsurprisingly, the SQL Server service account (and the local windows group it belongs to) does not have full control over S:\SQL\Userdbdata01\ folder.

Bazinga!

• S is a physical drive on the box and not a connected drive ?

strange .... verry strange

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• ALZDBA (7/20/2011)

S is a physical drive on the box and not a connected drive ?

By 'connected', you mean SAN?

Mount points are administered in my company by windows admins. And they appear in Windows as folders such as the one you've seen in the post S:\SQL\userdbdata01\.

Bazinga!

• sqlapprentice (7/20/2011)

ALZDBA (7/20/2011)

S is a physical drive on the box and not a connected drive ?

By 'connected', you mean SAN?

Mount points are administered in my company by windows admins. And they appear in Windows as folders such as the one you've seen in the post S:\SQL\userdbdata01\.

On, that reply was my bad. You already stated it were mount points. :blush:

( Luns are handled as local drives )

I meant drives allocated with "net use ..."

Maybe you could check to log on with the service account and see what errors it comes up with when you try the drive.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• sqlapprentice (7/20/2011)

Solution found!

It turned out for mount points there are two 'security' tabs that you can set up access rights for different accounts.

Please see attachment "old_security_tabl.jpg": the first 'security' tab from right clicking the folder icon of 'S:\SQL\userdbdata01' and selecting ''properties". This is where I set up all the "full control"'s that I thought should have worked.

Please see attachment "properties_button.jpg": the property button that you can use to pop up another property setting dialog box when you can set 'security' again (see attachment 'new_security_tab.jpg').

And it turned out all the access right settings on the new security tab are substantially different from those configured on the old security tab. And unsurprisingly, the SQL Server service account (and the local windows group it belongs to) does not have full control over S:\SQL\Userdbdata01\ folder.

Glad you found a solution for it, and thanks for posting what it was (so many people forget to do that).

The reason I asked what the type of drive was is because network and SAN mount-point drives behave differently than local and LUN drives.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Verify the SQL Server service and make sure its running under Administrator Accounnt.

Example:

I just completed installing SQL Server 2012 on one of our test server with NT Service\SQLSERVER.

I try to create a snapshot and it blows away.

So i have changed both SQLServer and SQLServer Agent services to appropriate Administrator Account and restarted both services and i am able to create a Snapshot.

Cheers,

Srihari

• This thread is over a year old!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Srihari Kagita (11/29/2012)

Verify the SQL Server service and make sure its running under Administrator Accounnt.

Example:

I just completed installing SQL Server 2012 on one of our test server with NT Service\SQLSERVER.

I try to create a snapshot and it blows away.

So i have changed both SQLServer and SQLServer Agent services to appropriate Administrator Account and restarted both services and i am able to create a Snapshot.

Cheers,

Srihari

Since this old post is brought back to life (probably because this gentleman encountered similar issues), I have to state that for security reasons not all organization will allow sql server service accounts to have local windows admin privileges. And in the case mentioned in my original post, the local windows admin account solution is obviously an overkill.

Bazinga!

• You are a god amongst men....this has been driving me mad all day.

Cheers my friend...happy xmas!!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply