error creating cleanup maintenance plan

• I have a SQL Server 2005 cluster set up, Windows 2003. I created plans to backup the databases and transaction logs with no problems. But when I try to create a maintenance plan to run the cleanup task I get this error:

"Apply to target server failed for job"

This works on a regular SQL Server 2005 server, is the problem something to do with the cluster set up?

Any ideas where to start looking for the problem?

Thanks, I appreciate any help.

• Actually, I set up the backup plans using the Maintenance Plan Wizard. I can't create any kind of jobs using New Maintenance Plan which is what I need for cleanup task.

This is only on our cluster set up.

Could it have anything to do with MSDTC?  This service doesn't start on the cluster. Maybe I don't have it set up correctly.  Get error "Could not start Distributed Transaction Coordinator service on local computer. Error: 1067:The process terminated unexpectedly."

Thanks for any ideas! 

• Hi Denise

create a cluster resources as DTC. Resources dependicies should be the network name and the drive where the DTC log will be stored.

Do you have an active/passive cluster ? If yes I suggest you to install SSIS on both node and to create a resource for it. In case of failover the jobs will still run.

Regards,

Moreno

• So I should create a cluster resource as DTC, type Distributed Transaction Coordinator, with the dependencies you mentioned?

It is active/passive cluster. I have already installed SSIS on both node servers. So do I  also create another cluster resource for it? What resource type should it be and what dependencies if any?

This is the first time I set up a cluster environment so thank you, I really appreciate the help.

• Yes for the DTC. Create the resource as generic service for SSIS. We do so in our company because we encountered problem after a failover. The dependencies are the drive on which datas are stored and the sql network name.

I hope it works in your environment.

Regards,

Moreno

• I've added cluster group resources for DTC and SSIS, but I still am receiving "Apply to target server failed for job" error.  Any other ideas? Thanks!

• Hi

hhmm..check the permissions on folder for the user you are using to execute the plans.

You tarteg the local server ?

• I think maybe I haven't configured Integration Services on the Cluster correctly. I was trying to follow this document: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345193.aspx.

I didn't understand the registry replication part. What should be in #9. the registry replication page? And then in #14, what do I do here exactly?

I looked in the hkey_local_macjine\software\microsoft\msdts\serviceconfigfile, but there is nothing there.

Thanks again for any help.

• #9 It means the registry application tab of the cluster resources. You should add the registry path

#14 you store the xml config file under a cluster resource. You should change the registry keep to target the path you have choosen

Regards,

Moreno

• We changed the registry to the target path, but I still get the "apply to target server failed for job" message.

Could I still have something set up wrong? I could create jobs before I installed Integration Services. 

any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

• Can you start the msdtc service now ? Is SSIS installed on both nodes and if yes, is the service starting correctly then you move the group ?

If I understand right you cannot create jobs anymore.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply