Error Connecting to Oracle Using DTS

• Hello...I'm attempting to use DTS to export an Oracle database to SQL Server. I'm getting an error when I "test connection" to the Oracle server. The error is the following: Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. ORA-12514: Message 12514 not found; product=RDBMS80; facility=ORA

Any ideas?? Thanks!

KU

KU

• Have you tried using SQL*Plus from the machine you are performing this on to see if the problem is the way you have Oracle Driver or your parameters?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• No I have not. What was a bit confusing is the wizard asks for the server, username and password. Is the username the database owner or should it be a login account on the box?

KU

KU

• First are we talking about the Oracle connection? If so then the login account is for the box. Server should be the Oracle instance name. Also try tnsping or tnsping80 and the Oracle instance name to make sure the server can see the Oracle instance.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• check your sqlnet config and in the wizard, play with the connection so that it matches the sqlnet.ora string at your client. Also, login to the server and try it rather than at your client (if using your client EM to do the DTS away from the physical sqlservr box). an excellent test is trying to create a linked server.

Another option is to use a different provider or a working dsn.

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply