Error 20084 - What does it mean

• Hi there,

we are using SQL 2000 SP1 on the Server and MSDE for SQL 2000 SP1 on the clients with pull and push subscriptions.

Now we have one client with a replication problem. All other clients work perfectly, they are even the same machines with the same configuration.

Just this one Client is causing me some real headach.

I get the following error.log:

Verbindung mit Verleger 'SERVER'

Verbindung mit Abonnent 'CLIENT'

Ruft Publikationsinformationen ab

Ruft Abonnementinformationen ab

Der Mergeprozess führt einen Cleanup für die Metadaten in der MainDB-Datenbank aus.

Der Mergeprozess hat einen Cleanup für 627 Zeile(n) in "MSmerge_genhistory", 0 Zeile(n) in "MSmerge_contents" und 0 Zeile(n) in "MSmerge_tombstone" ausgeführt.

Der Mergeprozess führt einen Cleanup für die Metadaten in der MainDB-Datenbank aus.

Der Mergeprozess hat einen Cleanup für 563 Zeile(n) in "MSmerge_genhistory", 5 Zeile(n) in "MSmerge_contents" und 0 Zeile(n) in "MSmerge_tombstone" ausgeführt.

Uploadet Datenänderungen zum Verleger

Der Prozess konnte keine Verbindung zu Publisher 'SERVER' herstellen.

Der Prozess konnte keine Verbindung zu Publisher 'SERVER' herstellen.

Beim Mergeprozess ist beim Herstellen einer Verbindung ein Timeout aufgetreten. Konfigurieren Sie den LoginTimeout-Parameter neu, und wiederholen Sie die Operation.

Fehler: ' 20084-Der Prozess konnte keine Verbindung zu Publisher 'SERVER' herstellen.'

Fehler: ' 0-Beim Mergeprozess ist beim Herstellen einer Verbindung ein Timeout aufgetreten. Konfigurieren Sie den LoginTimeout-Parameter neu, und wiederholen Sie die Operation.'

Sorry about the inconvinience i try to translate it in English:

Connection to Publisher 'SERVER'

Connection to Subscriber 'CLIENT'

Getting Publicationinformation

Getting Subscriberinformation

The Mergeprocess is executing a Cleanup of the Metadata in database 'MainDB'.

The Mergeprocess has finished a Cleanup for 627 rows in "MSmerge_genhistory", 0 rows in "MSmerge_contents" and 0 rows in "MSmerge_tombstone" .

The Mergeprocess is executing a Cleanup of the Metadata in database 'MainDB'.

The Mergeprocess has finished a Cleanup for 563 Zeile(n) in "MSmerge_genhistory", 5 rows in "MSmerge_contents" and 0 rows in "MSmerge_tombstone".

Upload of the Datachanges to the Publisher

The Process could not connect to Publiher 'SERVER'.

The Process could not connect to Publiher 'SERVER'.

A timeout occured durring the mergeprocess while trying to connect to the Publisher 'Server'

A timeout occured durring the mergeprocess while trying to connect to the Publisher 'Server'

Please, reconfigure the LoginTimeout-Parameter, and try it again.

Error: ' 20084-The Process could not connect to Publisher 'SERVER' '

Error: ' 0-A timeout occured durring the mergeprocess while trying to connect to the Publisher 'Server'. Please, reconfigure the LoginTimeout-Parameter, and try it again.

'

Well I checked the timeout and the connection and the commandtimeout are at least 500 Seconds. This error occurs after about 10 Seconds. So, I do not understand what i have to do to solve the problem.

The strange things is, if I try to connect to the server with the ODBC-Datascource Administrator, I get the same message. The LoginTimeout is not long enough!

Please help.

Thanks,

TS

• Following link to discussion on another forum could give you some hints:

http://dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=331714

• Thanks,

I tried all these hints, but still it didn't work out. It seems that the only way is to delete the database and create a new subscribtion on the client.

Thorsten

• Looks like an issue with network latency, what connections type are your using and have you tried PINGing the server from the box with the issue. Also make sure is using a port to connect to and not dynamically determine port on the client. As well make sure any unneeded protocols are disabled on their machine.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Thanks,

I have done it before, but nothing changed. After I have deleted the Subscription and the database, and created a new subscription it works fine. I guess something in the database went wrong.

Strange, very strange....

Thorsten

• I really get confused with this error 20084.

I have had it on 2 machines even rebuilding the whole subscriptions on both computers didn't help. I still got the error 20084.

After hours of trying I found an activated WAN-/LAN connection. Which I deactivated and the error was gone! Strange!

Does anybody know why such an active connection produces such an error???

Thanks,

Thorsten

• Not really without seeing it for myself. But could be the way duplexing is set up on your network and if this connection was chattering (sending broadcast type garbage) you will get an increase in packet collisions thus a performance drop and packet loss on the network. That would be my thought.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I guess you are right!

I will keep a eye on it. If I can figure out some more information I will post it here.

Thanks,

Thorsten

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply