Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 6

• I came to this new company, and found a server's log file keeps giving me "Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 6" follow by "login failed for user 'DomainName\usename' [CLIENT: XX.XXX.XX.XXX] (ip address).

I found the server name and contacted the system admin of that server. I was told that server is used to check my server's status, for example, CPU, memory usage..etc. There is no problem for that system admin to login to my database server to get information.

The funny thing is that the system admin use my sql server admin login name to login my server.

Any idea what should I do?

Thank you

Yan

• Bring it in attention to PROD box owner (who so ever). It will show that you shared your concerns and if you get any reply from them saying ‘We TRUST him’ you are safe from that point onwards.

One thing for sure, he shouldn’t use your credentials. For any inventory or stats collection he should use his own login (if he doesn’t have any, please provide him one).

• Thank you!

The interesting thing is that the owner of the box is the system administrator.

• I would implement windows security for that purpose whenever I can.

( both for your usage as sqladmin as well as for the other person to use in that monitoring tool/service )

I would even grant that monitoring user only login and view systemstate !

Certainly not sysadmin !

And of course, change the used password.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Thank you!

I will talk to my boss

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply