Error: 17883, Severity: 1, State: 0

• MS SQL Server 2000 SP4

Getting the following errors.. can anyone help?

Sleeping until external dump process completes.

Resuming after waiting on external debug process for 8 seconds.

Stack Signature for the dump is 0x00000000

Error: 17883, Severity: 1, State: 0

Process 104:0 (fd4) UMS Context 0x0775B548 appears to be non-yielding on Scheduler 0.

SQL Server has encountered 37 occurrence(s) of IO requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete on file [e:\Microsoft SQL Server\\webslog631_2.mdf] in database [webslog631_2] (35). The OS file handle is 0x0000071C. The offset of the latest long IO is: 0x0000007e6b8000

• Jpotucek (4/28/2008)

SQL Server has encountered 37 occurrence(s) of IO requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete on file [e:\Microsoft SQL Server\\webslog631_2.mdf] in database [webslog631_2] (35). The OS file handle is 0x0000071C. The offset of the latest long IO is: 0x0000007e6b8000

That's I/O related. SQL issued an I/O request to the operating system and 15 seconds later it had not completed, and that happened 37 times in 5 minutes.

Is this a once off occurrence or is it happening often?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • It happens periodically.. not often, maybe once every two weeks.

• DBCC CHECKDB does not report any errors. Did some more digging and I suspect that the errors may have been caused by intermittent SAN problems that we HAD been having and may have resurfaced..

My boss is most concerned about the 'Sleeping' condition in this series of errors and wanted me to investigate whether there was a patch for it (we are on sp4). Anyone know where i can find anything that says these errors might be 'bad disk' related? I've been googling this till I'm crosseyed 🙂 any help or thoughts appreciated.

• What sleeping condition?

They're not bad-disk related. They're slow disk related. By themselves, these errors don't indicate corruption. They indicate that the IO system is overloaded or very poorly performing.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• "Sleeping until external dump process completes" I guess is what I'm calling a sleeping condition..

anyway.. I contacted Microsoft and this Instance is a candidate for the post sp4 hotfix mentioned in this KB Article.. KB909734

Thanks for your help and support : )

• That just means that the SPID that reported the condition is sleeping (waiting) until the mini-dump that's created has been written to the drive. You'll see that every time SQL writes out a partial memory dump.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply