Error 1722 RPC error on service shutdown via EM

• Hi all

So, ive been playing around with EM and shutting down instances. I have noticed that EM has a real problem shutting down named instances, either remotely or locally. For example, I installed a named instance on my local PC (I have admin rights etc). The instance is installed as PC-124405\CKDB, all good. Running EM, right click and select shtudown brings back the classic 1722 error and disconnects me from the instance. Service Manager of course works perfectly.

I have tried with no success:

a) update my hosts file in /etc, thinking its something related to my host lookup

b) tried named pipes, tcpip (server and client changes made etc in all sorts of combos)

c) on my client config, pulled PC-124055 and tried IP, no luck, also tried fully qualified name and no luck.

d) altered service startup from SYSTEM to my domain user name

e) registered the instance via SA or domain login

f) double checked RPC service is OK, no Win2k SP issues etc.

I can shutdown any default instance though, even remotely simply logged in as SA.

IP for my pc is allocated via DHCP.

Any ideas?? im really bamboozled here..

Cheers

Chris K

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I've only got one named instance installed on a dev server, haven't had issues that I can recall, I'll try to remember to stop/start to see what happens.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Can you connect to named instance from QA? What is your SQL Server service pack level?

Could it be caused by your machine name (PC-124405\CKDB) that has dash in it.

I have three instances running in one machine without this problem.

Edited by - Allen_Cui on 05/16/2003 2:23:11 PM

Edited by - Allen_Cui on 05/16/2003 2:30:34 PM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply