Error 0x80070057 when creating maintenance plan

• Hi,

I have just installed a new default instance

SQL 2016 DEv

CU2

Windows 2012R2 Standard

Basic features: DB , search, connect tools, doc

The install and the CU installed successfully.

Nothing of importance in errorlog

When I try to create a maintenance plan using the Wizard, any task, I get an error at the end when I click <finish>...

The first line "Creating maintenance plan "blablabla" Error :

Cannot create a task from XML for task "", type "" due to error 0x80070057 "The parameter is incorrect.".

(OnPreExecute)

Anyone got this before?

• What version of SSMS are you using? You can get a recent SSMS here (16.4.1):

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx

• that's what I have SSMS 16.4.1

• Update:

using SSMS 2008R2 remotely, I'm able to create the maintenance plan.

So it would seem that the issues would be with SSMS 2016, there would

be a prequisite that is needed but still went on with a successfull install.

I don't see the install logs for SSMS 2016, is there one?

• alex meunier (10/24/2016)

Update:

using SSMS 2008R2 remotely, I'm able to create the maintenance plan.

So it would seem that the issues would be with SSMS 2016, there would

be a prequisite that is needed but still went on with a successfull install.

I don't see the install logs for SSMS 2016, is there one?

Have you tried it with a different Windows user account?

I ask because, in the past when I've seen "Cannot create a task from XML for task" errors, they've sometimes been related to the Windows profile. Whenever you do something like create a maintenance plan, SSMS writes temporary files containing the commands that it wants to run. Sometimes those temp folders go missing, or get moved, or have their permissions messed.

If you have another account that you can use one that machine, try logging in as that and creating a maintenance plan.

If that does turn out to be the issue, you can generally resolve it by blowing away the user profile on the machine and when you log that account in again and start SSMS it should set everything up again. If that isn't an option for your user account, you can try going into the %TEMP% location for that user profile and manually deleting the temp files associated with SSMS.

• Install SSDT from installation media . It will definitely fix the issue

• Install SSDT from installation media . It will definitely fix the issue

• Instead of installing SSDT on the server, installing latest SSMS (v17.2 in my case) along with v16.5.3 solved the issue. Both ssms versions were installed side by side.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply