Equilogic & LeftHand SAN

• Hi All

I am in a position to change my SAN, there are 2 options provided by 2 of my vendor, Equilogic & LeftHand SAN, I have googled through and i am not satisfied. Has any one used either one of these SAN or both ? Can you please help me with the Advantages and Dis Advantages on this products, What are the drawbacks over each other.

I am using a Virtual Environment, with SQL 2005 and ESX 3.0 and DL585 HP as Hosts

Your help is much appreciated,

Thanks in Advance for all your posts

• I'm using equallogic, our choice was based on easy maintenance (we only spent time when doing new luns or modifying luns). It has both a great management interface and performance tools (Sanhq) and great performance, on the downside you choose raidlevel per box and luns across boxes are not protected. We have been using them for 3 years and are still happy with our choice.

Anders

• We are a user of the Lefthand SAN's , I can honestly say they have been reliable but we have had issues installing VM applications onto the SANs although they are approved, with this in mind we needed to call on the supprt team which happen to be in the states and only opearte to their local opearting times !! The support is questionable !! and often difficult to get! I am aware of the Equilogic and I feel that you will be better of with that system.

• Be aware that the max throughput on Letfthand is limited by the nodes; They only have 2 x 1 Gb network cards in Active Load Balancing which means if you are using say Procurve 2910 switches, you will be limited to about 100 MB/s. For most setup's this should be enough. But for SQL you need more... say 300 MB/s for a Axapta Solution. The only way to get this done on Lefthand is adding 10 Gb cards and switching.

On the other side ... EQL has at least 2-4 Gb cards which will give you the performance and throughput you need. They also have a very nice solutions ... PS6000xvs... A SAN box that has the combination of SSD drives and SAS drives. Automatic tiering .... and your performing at high speed.

We do use Lefthand and Equallogic.... Only reason...DRS... Lefthand is for that reason (network raid) a good solution; If you're looking for DRS then its Lefthand. For performance i do prefer Equallogic.

PS : EQL has a nice tool called HIT (Host Intergration Tool) which makes backup and restore of SQL and Exchange a "snap". Best tool i ever used on SAN....

Greetz

• we have a 200TB equallogic san. have been very satisfied. easy to create/modify LUNs, good performance. nice to not to worry about zoning, HBA's, etc like on our old EMC FC SAN

• Go for this to EMC or IBM

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply