Environment Assesment Quandry

• Good day to all,

I have been asked to asses a SQL Server environment that I am new too.  I was wondering this:

If this were something you were tasked with, what categories within SQL Server would you use to write this document?  How would you tackle this particular task?

I'm hoping to get other view points in order to best present what would be considered a thorough document.  Any opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Mark

• Off the cuff, and by no means a complete answer...

1) How many installations of SQL Server are present (including ones on workstations) and what versions/service packs/hotfix levels they are at. SQLRecon, if run by a domain admin, is great for this:

SQLRecon

2) What the environment looks like from a security perspective (since we're talking data here). Check Randy Dyess' write-up here:

Performing a SQL Server Security Assessment

3) Look at the change control procedures and how they are applied to the SQL Servers.

4) Get an idea of how each critical SQL Server is performing (perfmon is your friend).

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thank you Brian for the suggestions. I thought for sure I would get more responses; oh well. I do appreciate the help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply