Enterprise Reporting Solutions

• Just wondering if anyone has experience with any of the various enterprise reporting software that is out there and may like to comment on it. I've been looking into the capabilities of Reporting Server but wanted a sense of what other products are out there now and how they compare.

I have direct experience with Business Objects but that was 8 years ago or so and I'm sure that product had been enhanced a bit since then. I do remember it was a capable and flexible product, that was before Microsoft had a its own product.

Any comments or interesting links would be appreciated. Thanks:-)

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• Business Objects is still alive and kicking, also Cognos, MicroStrategy... Crystal Reports.

It mostly depends on: Budget, Available skill set and Personal preference.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I'm happy with SSRS 2008 R2. It's been out quite a while and seems pretty mature. I understand earlier adopters were not quite so happy. I like the fact that the report definition is essentially an xml file. I like the fact that Visual Studio users can develop in a familar environment.

I haven't worked with Crystal since v.11. I'm anti-crystal. Maybe SAP got it right in the most recent release. When a decent product gets acquired and then goes through a series of mergers I am sceptical.

The following link is biased and somewhat out-of-date. But its a hilarious read if you have the time!

Edit: The link contains unprofessional language.

http://secretgeek.net/CrystalDodo.asp

• 🙂

Hello ,From my opinion i have been used crystal reports and so happy with it, it gave me all facilities i need ,may be it sometime slow ,but nothing bad else

Crystal Reports has been the king of the reporting hill for some time. It offers the most powerful features of any report writer. Having been an avid user of Crystal for many years (and a former Crystal Partner and Trainer), I feel it still represents the ultimate in reporting flexibility and power.

:hehe:

http://www.erpsoftwareblog.com/2010/02/crystal-reports-vs-sql-server-reporting-services-clash-of-the-microsoft-dynamics-gp-reporting-titans/[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply