Enterprise Manager hangs and stops QA etc working

• We have been running SQL2000 with Windows 2000 for six months, no problem until this happened this morning. From Enterprise Manager I tried to change some properties on a large Cash file (usually fine). Enterprise Manager froze and simultaneously Query Analyser stopped working (timeout message, and User Tables, Stored Procedures etc for the database could no longer be expanded). Also the users connected via their Access front end got a message that the database no longer exists. Have tried rebooting server several times and reinstalling SQL Server (with a different server name, as a new instance) but the problem persists whenever I try to modify that file in Enterprise Manager. I also can't run an integrity check on that database; same problem with freezing then QA and Access front end crashing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Claire

• What file did you try to change from EM?

First, you have to make sure SQL Server is up and running and then review your SQL Server errorlog and machine system/application logs to see whether there are any kind of errors related. Reboot machine is good try but not simply uninstall/reinstall.

What version of SQL Server, Service Pack and OS?

• Thanks for your responses. We are on Windows 2000 v.5, service pack 3; SQL 2000 Standard Edition with service pack 3. When EM crashed I was trying to make 2 fields in our main cash file (about 1,000,000 records) nullable. Things got worse after reinstall as the uninstall didn't finish properly so I had to give our new instance a new name, and now I can't restore the msdb and master backups to get back my import procedures!

• When select lagre amount data with EM and your EM could froze. Many reasons could be the cause, for example, the CPUs usgae is very high, busy disk I/O and network traffic for moving data from server to your EM. Because of SQL Server too busy, your QA and Access were unable to funtion prperly too. The issue could even come from your slow workstation.

It seems to me you do not have sufficient hardware resources in SQL Server. I would suggest to uninstall SQL Server cleanly and completely and reinstall it, restore your master and msdb database. Run performance monitor to trace whether you really have resources issue.

Meanwhile, you should also review tables indexes and ensure they are properly defined and used by SQL Server Optimizer.

Edited by - Allen_Cui on 04/22/2003 12:43:15 PM

• Could you tell us your procesor and memory?

and the cpu usage, memory usage.

Robert

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply