Enterprise Job Scheduling and is Agent the right choice

• What are you seeing out in the industry for common Enterprise Job Scheduling software solutions? Currently we are using SQL Server Agent on multiple machines to manage enterprise jobs. Many of these jobs are not SQL Server specific, often times calling command line batches of legacy systems. Of course this poses issues with security, having to assign different roles and grant greater access to SQL Accounts to locations that have nothing to do with SQL. Also with Agent I am finding that when many jobs have to run for extended periods of time Agent will run out of threads and wait to process other jobs. I would much rather not up the thread count because this will obviously require more processing power from SQL. Also with many jobs spanning different disciplines and functions it is difficult to group them in SQL Agent. We could of course come up with naming conventions to get by this and use job groups but is this as efficient as an enterprise wide scheduling system? Also this environment is not terribly complex from a systems approach so is implementing an enterprise wide scheduling system overkill and should we just stick with a central SQL Agent solution? Your thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• SQLSentry has a great tool for scheduling stuff across servers and managing the process.

SQL Agent works well, however, might not be the best choice here. Windows Scheduler works, but doesn't give you a lot of control. I'd look at something that is built for this, like RoboCopy or something along those lines.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply