Entering the dba field

• Hi,

Can I get some information about how to get a junior position in the field? I have 3 years experience working with Access databases and recently SAS, but no exposure to a large database program like SQL Server. (I'm working as a actuarial trainee.) I've got the books and software this month to study towards the MCDBA SQL Server 200 exams and have started on that, but I'm not sure it is enough. What else I could do to make myself marketable in this field?

Thanks,

Anna

• The MCDBA is a huge step and it shows that you have the drive to learn something. It's a lot of work though! It will give you most of the knowledge you need to start and most interviewers will know that. I'd start there. Most people that become DBAs are able to slide into the position because they have either a good developer or NT skillset. These are essential for some DBA groups, including mine, since you have to debug where the problem lies and point the finger back to the other guys.

Brian Knight

bknight@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

• I agree that achieving the MCDBA will help you attain a good set of core skills, but as Brian mentioned you will need more. Really it comes down to networking or programming - kinda whether to be an MCSE or MCSD. It's nice to know it ALL but it's pretty hard to do these days. I think programming makes more sense if you're just starting, since having good programming skills opens up the job possibilities, more likely to get hired as a developer with beginner/mid level skills than as a DBA or network admin.

Andy

• I would also say that you have to make your opportunities sometimes. For example the way I got in was thru Access and lerning, but when the Y2K rollover was in progress we needed a way to pull a large number of problem management databases together (Oracle, Sybase, Informix, Access) and push that data for diplay on the intranet. Fortunately I was able to work directly on the Access version and when the question came up I broke out the 120 day copy of SQL and dmeonstrated what was possible. Before all was said and done I was given full control and lead on this protion of the project. I built and moved it to production and ulitimately the group I work for now was involved in getting me access to one of the systems I had to talk to and thus showing my knowledge (even though I wasn't getting paid for this) paid off in landing me my current position. Basically sometimes if opportunity doesn't knock, my belief is go knock down it's door.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I tend to agree with Antares. In Denver I constantly hear about these tech schools advertising you can get certified or trained and get a 60k/yr job. I'm sorry, but unless your brother owns the company, that ain't happening. The days of this are over for now and companies are getting very smart, very quick. Too many have been burned with paper certs.

I'd go make an opportunity and get some experience, then get the cert. Without it, the cert proves you can book learn, but not work. With experience and then the cert, you've proven you can do the work and use the skills.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply