Enough - Database Weekly (Oct. 20, 2008)

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Enough - Database Weekly (Oct. 20, 2008)

• Add me to the list. I got a letter last month (three weeks ago?) from a company in the financial services sector that I've never heard of claiming to have "lost" my name, social security number, etc, and offering to pay for a year of credit monitoring service. (As if the threat expires after a year.) Apparently I'm in their data set because they handle proxy voting for one or more companies that I hold stock in... and they don't believe in encryption.

It was not a hack that I read about in the WSJ, but the letter was pretty clear that it was an outside job. It was very similar to the form letter that I got in 2007 when one of the largest universities in Texas "lost" my PII, including SSN, which was not encrypted by their admissions process, either.

Having been a victim of identity theft and fraud to the tune of over $50,000 in 2006, our family's long been signed up for a credit protection scheme by one of the companies you see advertising these days, so I haven't decided whether to ignore the warning or not or whether to take them up on their offer to add more credit monitoring to my defense.

:hehe:

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply