Enjoy Your Job

• I still remember an article I read in a class: One man's meat is another man's poison. It also applies to job. In many cases, the same job is perfect for one person, but hated by another. If you cannot change your job, change your thinking about the job, maybe you will enjoy it.

• Nailed it on the head. Dreading going to work after a vacation is one thing - dreading it every day is another. If dreading the job becomes the norm - then maybe there is a need for change.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• wenrui_yang (9/9/2010)

I still remember an article I read in a class: One man's meat is another man's poison. It also applies to job. In many cases, the same job is perfect for one person, but hated by another. If you cannot change your job, change your thinking about the job, maybe you will enjoy it.

Very true. My perfect job is not necessarily yours.

Remember that when someone is telling you about a job. Make sure that it is a good fit for you, and hopefully, you can walk away if it is not.

• Steve Jones - Editor (9/9/2010)

wenrui_yang (9/9/2010)

I still remember an article I read in a class: One man's meat is another man's poison. It also applies to job. In many cases, the same job is perfect for one person, but hated by another. If you cannot change your job, change your thinking about the job, maybe you will enjoy it.

Very true. My perfect job is not necessarily yours.

Remember that when someone is telling you about a job. Make sure that it is a good fit for you, and hopefully, you can walk away if it is not.

Hopefully there will also be adequate information available to make that decision. Many times the interview portrayal is different than what truly happens on the job.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I still think of a quote from Col. Saito in the movie "The Bridge on the River Kwai[/url]" which goes: "Be Happy In Your Work".

The sarcasm and irony is not lost.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Charles Kincaid (9/9/2010)

I still think of a quote from Col. Saito in the movie "The Bridge on the River Kwai[/url]" which goes: "Be Happy In Your Work".

The sarcasm and irony is not lost.

and now I'll be whistling for the rest of the day. Thanks a lot.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (9/9/2010)

and now I'll be whistling for the rest of the day. Thanks a lot.

"Whistle While You Work."

"The Manager Is A ..." Oops, here he comes! :w00t:

ATBCharles Kincaid

• msoutherland (9/9/2010)

In a perfect world, it would be great if everyone was able to choose the job that was perfect for them. However, this isn't a perfect world and the current economy is making it even less so. I know many, many people that have decades of experience and advanced degrees and they've been looking for a job, any job, for 3+ years. Some babysit in their homes & others work as store clerks just to make ends meet. I also know others that have applied at fast food places only to be told that they weren't hiring.

In fact, the only reason my husband is employed after being laid off after a year was that his friend that got him into the company in the first place passed away and the company owner figured that bringing my husband back would be the best choice. He wasn't happy about the circumstances that got him rehired, he's not being challenged, he was moved to a different building so he no longer gets to see the people that he befriended during his first stint - but he brings home a paycheck which is what we need and the best that we can hope for right now.

In an ideal world I very much agree with this editorial; you spend a big chunk of your waking hours toiling away at work so you should enjoy what you do (or try to enjoy it). If you are lucky enough to have the choice of work, then by all means follow the path that makes you happiest. Sadly, we don't live in an ideal world.

It's easy to say "enjoy your job" when you 1) already have a job you enjoy and/or 2) don't need a job. It's not so easy when your prospects are dim and you are competing with 50 other people for the same job. You take whatever meager bone is tossed your way (and you are glad to get it). I think this is the reality for most people. Maybe not most people on SSC, but most people generally. And it's a pretty sad state of affairs when the only way to get a job is if someone - literally - dies. I see this as the reality for some years to come.

James Stover, McDBA

• Perhaps that's the way of the world. I'd like to think that people get some choice, but perhaps not. 90% (thereabouts) of people in the US are employed. There are people applying for new jobs that don't need them. They're looking to move on from a bad job. My advice would be don't jump from a bad job to another bad job. Bide some time and try to find a better job, not just one that might pay more.

• A person needs to define for yourself what it means to be happy in your work. I have read quite a few definitions here and there is something in each of them that I agreed with. Location, the people you work with, the managers but for me there is one thing that stand out above all and that is: Do I make a difference in my job? What is my purpose with this job? A person can have a high paying salary, lovely peers, more lovely managers and even be in the right location but in the end you have to ask yourself what is my destination, my purpose. Am I making a difference?

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• I just remembered something. What you sow you will reap. You can have a crappy boss and a crappy little office and a computer that bombs out if it cannot hold the weight, hey you can change all off that just by your attitude. Tell yourself you love your job. When you come in in the morning smile and make a point of greeting as much people as you can but do not let the smile be fake. Go to your boss's office and ask if you could help him with something. Go out of your way to convince people that you enjoy every moment of the day. Soon you will notice changes coming. If you sow weed you will not get flowers, but if you sow flowers unfortunately the weed will also grow so you have to keep your flower beds clean. Work on it is the best way to do it. You'll see, your crappy job will turn out real good.:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• I have to say I absolutely love my job and I know that I was lucky to get it. When I quit my last job, I didn't know what I was going to do next, especially since it was the holiday season and I assumed no one would be hiring until after the start of the new year. Someone I had know from the last job, knew that I had quit and got in contact with me about a job opening he knew about in a sister company.

I have to say, the attitude is completely different in the sister company. The culture is a little more laid back. The work is exactly what I was looking for. The people are absolutely great. And the commute is about half of what I was doing.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• Manie Verster (9/10/2010)

A person needs to define for yourself what it means to be happy in your work. I have read quite a few definitions here and there is something in each of them that I agreed with. Location, the people you work with, the managers but for me there is one thing that stand out above all and that is: Do I make a difference in my job? What is my purpose with this job? A person can have a high paying salary, lovely peers, more lovely managers and even be in the right location but in the end you have to ask yourself what is my destination, my purpose. Am I making a difference?

I like that Manie -

If you sow weed you will not get flowers, but if you sow flowers unfortunately the weed will also grow so you have to keep your flower beds clean.

Unfortunately there are sometimes mitigating circumstances that make it so that no matter how hard you try, it doesn't turn out, but it's a good philosophy! 🙂

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I was just discussing this very subject a few days ago! Everyone has their own view of what is their ideal job but I think it's also down to your own perspective. Not just in how you view your current job but what you have experienced in the past.

I've just finished a 6 month probation in my new job and I've loved every second of it. But I can't decide if that is because this job is so good or because my old one was so bad!

In my old job I had to suffer two rounds of redundancies or "restructures", the first due to outsourcing, the second due to the collapse of said outsourcing. Losing a great manager working on an exciting project to working with the worst possible manager, who didn't even know what a database was (nevermind what a DBA was) where no development was allowed at all, but projects would create new SQL Servers and leave me to manage them. A contract that said I would be paid X but actually I was paid Y... to cut a long story short, all that was missing was the flames of damnation!

Anyway, for the rest of my working life, whenever some horrible task gets given to me I'll say to myself "It could be worse... I could be back in my old job again!" I realise that sounds quite grim but my point is that no matter how bad a job may be, it's an experience. I'm not saying, go out and find a horrible job and stew in it for 2 years but if you do find yourself in that situation make the most of it and when you do move on, self motivation will never be a problem ever again! 😀

• The more enlightened economists point out that recessions are a perfectly natural part of long term economic cycles, and it always preceeds some transition to a new paradign. Companies or entire industries with failed business models (like high risk variable interest mortgages or premium priced services tageted toward medium or low income consumers) either evolve and thrive in the next economy, or they get shaken out and die in the process. Of course the employees working for these companies have to also evolve in the same way. Individuals, especially those of us who are professionals, have our own private "recessions" at various points in our careers or even personal relationships. If you understand what's going on, then you're a lot more likely to adapt, learn, and move on to bigger and better things. Think about how different the field of IT is today compared to what is was for the "programmers" in decades past.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply