Enhanced Variable Declaration in SQL Server 2005 Mode

• GSquared (12/17/2012)

I could be misreading, but I don't think they intentionally ended up where they are. More of a "I followed the directions, but I'm nowhere near your house" kind of thing, than a "Okay, I've arrived in <fill in high crime neighborhood near you here>, in my Rolls Royce, now I just need a parking spot where I can leave it with the engine running and the windows down".

😀 - I like the analogy! ... yes, I agree, it most definetely is one of those things where the project had the intention to complete by upgrading all environments but then stopped/got cancelled for whatever reason and the prod env remained on the old version.

This is more of a lesson to myself, I have had to deal with the pain of having different versions on the various environment and it is just very frustating to have to work like that.

in this specific case, it may have been more judicious to first upgrade the prod env (after testing the upgrade procedure on a mirror copy (software/hardware) of the env) and then move on to the other environments. The business can not want the situation where its developers use the "latest" technology and have a great time developing, whilst the customers are left with an "obsolete" system.

It never is easy, and there is always a reason why things look the way they look 😉

B

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply