Encryption Keys Matter

• djackson 22568 (9/14/2016)

Eric M Russell (9/14/2016)

djackson 22568 (9/13/2016)

Eric M Russell (9/13/2016)

The NSA is going to poop their pants if Gary Johnson is elected as the next US president.

I think more people than those at the NSA would be surprised if any third party candidate gets a significant vote. Do you really think the D's and R's are going to allow that? Hell, everyone knows that Hillary stole votes from Bernie, and nothing is being done about that. A libertarian get elected? Get real!

Now, as far as I go, I would LOVE to see D's and R's get a smack down like that, I just don't think it is possible right now.

The D / R choices that voters here in the US have been given are regrettable; Clinton herself is a 2nd tier candidate who couldn't beat Bush assuming he could run again, and Trump is fraud. I don't expect to see a Libertarian president this time around, but I can see Gary Johnson getting > 20% of the popular vote. It's important that Clinton or Trump not be allowed a landslide win; I want to see them limp into office with no clear mandate or bragging rights. I want to see their administration nullified the same way they nullified the election.

I am not a fan of either one. But, remember that while Clinton stole the primary from Bernie, all the while violating as many laws as possible, Trump has been successful despite spending almost no money. That tells me people are tired of politicians, not that he nullified anything. My expectation is that Trump is going to win with over 80% of the popular vote, and quite possibly be the first person on history to win all, if not most of the electoral vote. Shudder!

Well, no way Trump gets 80%. I'm not seeing people leave Clinton in droves for Trump, the two appeal to diametrically opposed groups. Clinton easily wins over Trump, because she appeals better to independents and will be less likely to say stuff that embarrasses the US. If there is an October surpise that disqualifies Clinton, like maybe a dump of classified emails on a hacker website, then Gary Johnson wins.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• But going back to Steve's editorial, organizations need to implement application level encryption (ie: PGP for emails) and database level encryption rather than relying on infrastructure encryption like SSL, VPN, or cloud provider security for which the NSA can discover (or mandate) back doors.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (9/15/2016)

But going back to Steve's editorial, organizations need to implement application level encryption (ie: PGP for emails) and database level encryption rather than relying on infrastructure encryption like SSL, VPN, or cloud provider security for which the NSA can discover (or mandate) back doors.

Totally agree. Deposit boxes are locked themselves AND locked within a vault.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (9/14/2016)

djackson 22568 (9/14/2016)

...I just prefer a little pain over violence.

I am not advocating violence. It is just that I believe that the political class in the UK are so comfortably set that they are comfortable being both unfair and in breaking the laws that they set for others. There is a growing underclass that is not only disenfranchised but also suffering. Suffering in numbers in a nation as rich as the UK just shouldn't happen (I will not comment on the USA or elsewhere as I do not have enough facts or experience of other countries to hold an informed opinion). It is my opinion that long term UK foreign policy has also aided global suffering.

When people suffer they only put up with it for so long. History has so many examples of that.

We'll have to disagree on public health service policies.

I agree with you about the political class. We have the same thing here in the democratic party. Arguably a few years back, it was the republicans. It is definitely whichever party is in charge, and in my belief, both parties all of the time. Hard to prove since they both play the victim card so well.

As far as public health goes, I am not sure where we disagree, if we do at all. The newscast was talking about total care, not health care, of all children. Meaning, health care, education, day case, even changing diapers for all I know. If you want to have kids, you need to take care of them. To try to bring this back on topic, the more government we have, the more they get away with violating our rights as human beings, including total, non-ending spying on everything we do.

Everything has a cost. I don't feel like paying for everything.

Dave

• Gary Varga (9/14/2016)

The NSA is going to poop their pants if Gary Johnson is elected as the next US president.

I think more people than those at the NSA would be surprised if any third party candidate gets a significant vote. Do you really think the D's and R's are going to allow that? Hell, everyone knows that Hillary stole votes from Bernie, and nothing is being done about that. A libertarian get elected? Get real!

Now, as far as I go, I would LOVE to see D's and R's get a smack down like that, I just don't think it is possible right now.

The D / R choices that voters here in the US have been given are regrettable; Clinton herself is a 2nd tier candidate who couldn't beat Bush assuming he could run again, and Trump is fraud. I don't expect to see a Libertarian president this time around, but I can see Gary Johnson getting > 20% of the popular vote. It's important that Clinton or Trump not be allowed a landslide win; I want to see them limp into office with no clear mandate or bragging rights. I want to see their administration nullified the same way they nullified the election.

Even though I listen to the news most days (I haven't this week though), I had not heard of Gary Johnson that I can recall. That is interesting to me as it highlights the lack of media coverage from very serious news outlets.

For quite a while I have been asking people the question "who ran for president" - going back at least 4-5 elections. As of today, in a survey of at least 50 people, only one person was able to name more than one person. Frequently, they couldn't even name the current president though, so that simply speaks to the ignorance of Americans when it comes to government. The person that was able to answer the question was a teenage girl, who knew more than I did. The issue is that our courts have ruled that it is perfectly acceptable for the D's and R's to control the debates and deny other parties from attending. Ross Perot pretty much guaranteed it won't happen any time soon, he showed them how a third party candidate with a voice would affect the election. Both parties are terrified of that happening again.

Dave

• Eric M Russell (9/14/2016)

djackson 22568 (9/14/2016)

I am not a fan of either one. But, remember that while Clinton stole the primary from Bernie, all the while violating as many laws as possible, Trump has been successful despite spending almost no money. That tells me people are tired of politicians, not that he nullified anything. My expectation is that Trump is going to win with over 80% of the popular vote, and quite possibly be the first person on history to win all, if not most of the electoral vote. Shudder!

Well, no way Trump gets 80%. I'm not seeing people leave Clinton in droves for Trump, the two appeal to diametrically opposed groups. Clinton easily wins over Trump, because she appeals better to independents and will be less likely to say stuff that embarrasses the US. If there is an October surpise that disqualifies Clinton, like maybe a dump of classified emails on a hacker website, then Gary Johnson wins.

Well I hope you are wrong. Although I can't offer a candidate I would be happy with. Clinton is evil, Johnson is an idiot (although generally I like Libertarians), Stein has an arrest warrant pending, Trump is, well Trump. I guess I am going to be voting for Meteor 2016.

Dave

• Eric M Russell (9/15/2016)

But going back to Steve's editorial, organizations need to implement application level encryption (ie: PGP for emails) and database level encryption rather than relying on infrastructure encryption like SSL, VPN, or cloud provider security for which the NSA can discover (or mandate) back doors.

How does that (DB encryption) allow for transfer of information over the Internet. I am unfamiliar with alternatives to SSL/VPN/FTPS that would work, unless that is what application level encryption means. For example, we have a lot of systems that dump data to share with our vendors, and to get it to them we have to use a VPN or FTPS.

Dave

• Gary Varga (9/15/2016)

Eric M Russell (9/15/2016)

Totally agree. Deposit boxes are locked themselves AND locked within a vault.

Yes, the bank (manager? janitor? government?) controls the combination to the vault, and you personally control the key to the locked box. For the purpose of this analogy, we'll pretend that the box is constructed of some magical material that won't open or move without the key.

In our SQL Azure instances, we have TDE enabled and we also use column level encryption (encrypt/decrypt at application layer) where needed. This thrawts not only the system administrators at the Microsoft data center but also Big Brother in the middle.

• djackson 22568 (9/15/2016)

How does that (DB encryption) allow for transfer of information over the Internet. I am unfamiliar with alternatives to SSL/VPN/FTPS that would work, unless that is what application level encryption means. For example, we have a lot of systems that dump data to share with our vendors, and to get it to them we have to use a VPN or FTPS.

I think the point is that SSL etc. only protects the data in transit. One needs to protect it in situ as well.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• djackson 22568 (9/15/2016)

When I say appliation level security, I'm talking about column data that is encrypted/decrypted by function calls at the application layer (the database never sees unencrypted data for some columns), only ZIP files with AES-256 encryption are sent across SFTP, email encryption using a PGP plugin for Outlook, etc. It's clunky non-transparent encryption, but it can't be cracked without the key, there is no special back door.

• Gary Varga (9/15/2016)

djackson 22568 (9/15/2016)

I think the point is that SSL etc. only protects the data in transit. One needs to protect it in situ as well.

OK, thanks, and thanks to Eric as well.

Dave

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply