Encrypt Char Column

• Hi all

I have a simple qusetion ,can I encrypt and decrypt char column ?

Thanks in advance

• Yes u can encrypt/decrypt character column. But how are you planning to do that?

• I using Symmetric Key Encryption Option as following

1.Create DMK

2.Create Certificate

3.Create Symmetric Key

And then use simple update Syntax as following

OPEN SYMMETRIC KEY TestTableKey DECRYPTION

BY CERTIFICATE EncryptTestCert

UPDATE TestTable

SET Mycolumn = ENCRYPTBYKEY(KEY_GUID('TestTableKey'),Mycolumn)

GO

And Decrypt by following script

OPEN SYMMETRIC KEY TestTableKey DECRYPTION

BY CERTIFICATE EncryptTestCert

SELECT DECRYPTBYKEY(EncryptSecondCol) AS DecryptSecondCol

FROM TestTable

GO

First problem, Decryption by using above syntax get NULL value!!!!!

Second problem, encryption not display as normal format when column is VARBINARY

Just a clarify my column data type is Char(19)

Thanks in advance

• you'll need to change your encrypted column to a varbinary. I believe the rule is if you are doing a 19 char field, the size for the varbinary is twice the size, so it must be a varbinary(38)( or larger)

the function ENCRYPTBYKEY returns a varbinary with a maximum size of 8,000 bytes.

you are getting weird data and truncation when you decrypt the field; i'd guess NULL is the default value when you the value in the char(19) field does not translate correctly; also not ethe decrypt function expected varbinary input, but implicit conversion from text to varbinary must not raise an error.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174361.aspx

Return Types

varbinary with a maximum size of 8,000 bytes.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply