Encrypt and Decrypt password in SQL

• In a winform vb.net apps, I used a function below to Encrypt password and save into USERINFO table.
    Is it possible to create a function in SQL to decrypt password or have to decrypt password through apps?

Private Function Encrypt(clearText As String) As String
       Dim EncryptionKey As String = "MATY2SPBNI99878"
       Dim clearBytes As Byte() = Encoding.Unicode.GetBytes(clearText)
       Using encryptor As Aes = Aes.Create()
        Dim pdb As New Rfc2898DeriveBytes(EncryptionKey, New Byte() {&H49, &H76, &H61, &H6E, &H20, &H4D,
         &H65, &H64, &H76, &H65, &H64, &H65,
         &H76})
        encryptor.Key = pdb.GetBytes(32)
        encryptor.IV = pdb.GetBytes(16)
        Using ms As New MemoryStream()
          Using cs As New CryptoStream(ms, encryptor.CreateEncryptor(), CryptoStreamMode.Write)
           cs.Write(clearBytes, 0, clearBytes.Length)
           cs.Close()
          End Using
          clearText = Convert.ToBase64String(ms.ToArray())
        End Using
       End Using
       Return clearText
      End Function

• Why do you want to decrypt them? Normally password should be stored in a hashed and salted method, so they can't be decrypted.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• It's not a good idea to pass or return unencrypted passwords from a database function. Someone might intercept the call and read the password. You should only pass, store and retrieve encrypted passwords to a database.
    If the password is only needed for user verification, so needs only checked that it is the same one as saved, then the password should be a salted hash so impossible to decrypt.

• Never encrypt passwords. Salted hash, then the app hashes (with the same salt) and you compare the hashes.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply