Enabling SQL-DMO in Katmai

• Hey all,

Does anyone know if ti is possible to enable/install SQL-DMO in Katmai. I believe we are using the Feb CTP.

We have a rather large application that uses a bunch of services that contain a good amount of DMO based code.

So while re-writing in SMO is obviously possible, I would like to avoid it if I could.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Dennis

• DMO is supported in katmai, but it's the last release. after katmai you'll have to move to SMO.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1759081&SiteID=17

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• I am sorry, but I probably should have been more clear i my first post, I am fully aware that DMO is being replaced.

What I want to know is this, is there a way to enable DMO in Katmai or not.

We are a small DEV team in a mid-sized company and as I stated re-writing our services is possible but we would rather not if we didn't have to.

• It shouldn't need to be enabled. DMO is the set of DLLs on your client that will connect with standard protocols to SQL Server. The set of functions sent in should work.

Are you getting an error when connecting or somewhere else?

It was pulled from SQL Server Express, AFAIK, so you might need the DMO DLLs from another box if you're on Express.

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/19/2008)

It shouldn't need to be enabled. DMO is the set of DLLs on your client that will connect with standard protocols to SQL Server. The set of functions sent in should work.

Are you getting an error when connecting or somewhere else?

It was pulled from SQL Server Express, AFAIK, so you might need the DMO DLLs from another box if you're on Express.

Steve,

Thanks for your info.

We use 2005 Enterprise Edition for development and production, no Express anywhere. We are using the Developer edition of the 2008 CTP.

This is the code that lives on the SQL Server, it is our internal service and it has worked with SQL Server 2000 and 2005:

'Create SQLDMO Object

SQLServer = CreateObject("SQLDMO.SQLServer")

SQLServer.LoginTimeout = 10

SQLServer.Connect(servername, sauser, sapass)

No matter what we try and call, it errors on the SQLServer.Connect() call, and it errors with the following:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80045510): Exception from HRESULT: 0x80045510

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.LateGet(Object o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[] CopyBack)

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateGet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack)

I have tried copying the SQLDMO.dll filest o the 2008 server, I have also tried running regsvr32 to register/install the dll, and I get errors saying the dll failed to load.

Any help will be appreciated.

Dennis

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply