Enabling LPIM and AWE

• I tried the permissions fix as well as a few others I found searching. This was just a test VM and after seeing no differences after upgrading (and that it wasn't even necessary) I will keep my production server at SP2. So it looks like the steps will be:

1. Upgrade to 2003 to enterprise

2. Enable /PAE in the boot.ini file

3. Turn off machine and add 16gb ram for total of 20gb.

4. On restart, enable (and check) AWE setting max system memory to ?

The machine will have 20gb total, what would be a good number to set as the max in sql?

• GilaMonster (4/15/2014)

mlwiller2 (4/15/2014)

I'm still getting that error but when doing select @@version it says I'm at 0.0.5000 (sp4). Tried the exec xp_readerrorlog command and still didn't get the "locked memory in pages" output...

Traceflag 845 enabled? (I can't remember if that's required for 32 bit or only 64 bit)

That is only for 64bit systems from what i've read.

For those interested in the AWE/LPIM topic, see the link in my previous post. It gives a pretty good summary of the differences in how these function for 32/64bit.

• mlwiller2 (4/15/2014)

4. On restart, enable (and check) AWE setting max system memory to?

16 is probably a good place to start.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • mlwiller2 (4/15/2014)

I tried the permissions fix as well as a few others I found searching. This was just a test VM and after seeing no differences after upgrading (and that it wasn't even necessary) I will keep my production server at SP2. So it looks like the steps will be:

1. Upgrade to 2003 to enterprise

2. Enable /PAE in the boot.ini file

3. Turn off machine and add 16gb ram for total of 20gb.

4. On restart, enable (and check) AWE setting max system memory to ?

The machine will have 20gb total, what would be a good number to set as the max in sql?

16GB is probably a tad conservative but a good starting point. Monitor total memory for a while and see how much memory is spare for other processes to use and what the total process working set is for all applications.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• sqlbuddy123 (4/15/2014)

LPIM behaves differently on 32 bit and 64 bit systems and so is the AWE API. It's complex and lot of analysis is needed to get the true meaning.

Hence why I suggested Mark's videos on Windows memory management (they're detailed enough to need a couple of viewings). There's also an excellent coverage in his various Windows Internals books, edition 6 is excellent (although in two parts due to the sheer size), I can't personally vouch for any other edition.

For a slightly higher-level coverage, there's chapter 4 in Jonathan's Troubleshooting SQL Server book.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• george sibbald (4/15/2014)

16GB is probably a tad conservative but a good starting point.

Personally I like conservative, it reduces unpleasant surprises.

Just don't use Task Manager to monitor SQL's memory, it doesn't show memory allocated with AllocPhysicalMemory, so you'll get a distorted view. Use perfmon - Total Server memory and Available MB (former under SQL's memory managemnt counters, latter under Memory. If there's a lot of Available MB, increase max server memory slightly. Repeat until comfortable with memory usage.

Gail Shaw

• I wasn't referring to your reply Gail, we were typing at the same time. Memory:Available MBytes is the counter I intended, but too lazy to type it out!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• mlwiller2 (4/15/2014)

4. On restart, enable (and check) AWE setting max system memory to?

16 is where i would start

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply