enabled job vs enabled schedule

• Thanks for all the explaination and feedback.  It got me mad because he brought it up during an all project meeting and argued it with in front of everyone ... wasted my time and everyone elses.

-----------------------------
    www.cbtr.net
    .: SQL Backup Admin Tool[/url] :.

• You should email the answer to everyone in the meeting,. I'm sure there are many people wanting to know the final answer ....... plus then they'll know that he is a blathering fool, and he'll think twice before trying to make you look like a fool in front of others.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Disabling a job in SQL Server only means that the SQLServer Agent will not run it automatically. But we can fire the job from many other ways, such as manually and using a stored procedure.

• Disabling a job in SQL Server only means that the SQLServer Agent will not run it automatically. But we can fire the job from many other ways, such as manually and using a stored procedure.

• I have a client who is running SQL Server 2005 and we are trying to disable/enable SQL jobs using a SQL stored procedure.

I have two play jobs that just send me an email every five minutes.

IF @Severity=0

BEGIN

update msdb.dbo.sysjobs

set enabled=@EnableIRMSjobs

where name='JDN_BRD_Play'

SET @Severity=@@ERROR

END

This will enable or disable the job based on the value of @EnableIRMSjobs variable.

However, I keep receiving emails every five minutes. 🙁

So, I disabled the job schedule:

update SS

set enabled=@EnableIRMSjobs

from msdb.dbo.sysjobs J

inner join msdb.dbo.sysjobschedules S

on J.job_id = S.job_id

inner join msdb.dbo.sysschedules SS

on SS.schedule_id = S.schedule_id

where j.name='JDN_BRD_Play'

This disables the job schedule. Both the job and the schedule are disabled as determined by looking at sysjobs.enabled and sysschedules.enabled and by looking within the GUI interface,

yet I keep receiving emails every five minutes, even though both the job and schedule have been disabled for over an hour. And the View Job History shows the job keeps running every five minutes successfully.

Any ideas?

Before I experienced this I would have have agreed that the coworker who complained about the recurring jobs was crazy, but now...maybe I am just crazy too.

Bruce

• Found possible answer in:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic650924-146-2.aspx

Lynn Pettis (4/20/2010)

The reason I was asking is i had a similar problem when I would failover our mirror databases. The code that was enabling/disabling the database specific jobs wasn't "working". Where the jobs were being disabled, they kept working and where the were being enabled they would run.

I had to modify my code to use the sp_update_job stored procedure in the msdb database. Turns out that SQL Server Agent caches the information and this stored procedure forces a notification to SQL Server Agent.

I will check if using the sp_update_job stored procedure solves the problem.

• Yes, sp_update_job solved the problem because it flushes the SQL Server Agent cache.

exec @Severity=[msdb].[dbo].[sp_update_job] @job_name='JDN_BRD_Play 2', @enabled=@EnableIRMSjobs

It also solved the problem that was the initial symptom of the problem in that when jobs were re-enabled, it did not reset the Schedule with the next time it should run during the day, but waited until the next start of the schedule period to run. But the flush of the cache also reset the schedule correctly.

Thanks Lynn for all your help (both on this issue and all the other responses on other questions).

Bruce

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply