EMC Clarion Performance Issue

• I am in the process of testing an EMC Clarion install with our Data Warehouse. Performance is fast and consistent for queries using a clustered index but very poor for queries using non-clustered indexes. Performance on non-clustered indexes is very slow and inconsistent compared to our current production environment using EMC Symmetrix.

I eliminated the server and SQL install as the issue by testing the same queries on local disk on the server with good results. I am running SQL2000 SP3. EMC has not helped yet. Any ideas?

• The EMC Clariion is a downgrade from the Symmetrix line.  What are you trying to accomplish by this.  What is this test server compared to the production server (hardware)?  Have you monitored the read/write caches, CPU, and cache hit ratio to see where the bottleneck is?

Derrick Leggett
    Mean Old DBA
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

• Without getting into the specifics, the Clariion that we have is an upgrade from 7 year old Symmetrix. The test server is a HP dual Zeon 2.8GHz compared to our production HP dual PIII 550 MHz. Ram is the same in both. It is hard to do performance monitoring on the test server connected to Clariion because during the test performance monitor looses connection for 5 to 10 seconds at a time. This does not happen on the production server and with the test server using the local disk. What exact measure do you recommend to read read/write cache.

Thanks 

• The specifics would definitely help me...

What model Clariion are you running (200,400,...)?  How many drives and what type (SCSI/SATA)? Configured as what type of array/LUN(s)?  How many/what type of GBIC/HBA's?  Direct connect or via a fabric/switch? 

For comparison, how are the local drives on your test server connected/configured?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply