Email Subscription - PDF name to include date/time

• We have a requirement to tag the date/time to the file generated by the subscription that is an email subscription.

It looks like it is not possible to tag the timestamp to an email subscription but you can to a fileshare subscription.

It also looks like Data Driven subscription does not allow for changing @ReportName of the actual file name as opposed to just on the subject line.

Hopefully with SQL 2016 this is now possible, if not please advise ideas to accomplish this.

Maybe our only/best option to change it to a file share subscription, then have a separate windows script 'job' to email the file then move the file to an archive folder and/or delete it?

Thanks in advance.

• Why do you need to email the report - wouldn't it just be easier to create the file and direct the users to the file?  Or - create a snapshot and a subscription that sends notification when the snapshot is recreated - directing the users to the snapshot report and allowing them to download/extract it as needed.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes  I had already presented those options, but this is for country managers and VP's who want it delivered to them as they do with all their other email subscriptions and if they are remote then cannot go to the file system on their mobile, we would have to apply another solution for them to get those files.  They are used to receiving email subscriptions and it looks like a missing feature in SSRS for many years/versions, that you can name the file in file share but not for email.

We do have the time in the subject line and it is the report page 1 too so to me this is just an expected/assumed feature that would be their but is not.  I do not want to programmatically edit  the catalog/subscscriptions table to achieve this which technically don't want to go there.

• I don't think it is a missing feature - if you do think that then you should make the recommendation that it be included in the product.  You can post the question here: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server

Personally, I try to move away from having attachments in emails - and instead redirect the users back to the portal to get the reports.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I don't think it is a missing feature

Coming from Crystal Report server, it feels like a missing feature. I'm Googling today to see if there's a way to do this. I have the same situation: email recipients who need the attached file named with a timestamp. Easily done in CR server. I'm relatively new to SSRS and am incredibly impressed with it so far, but I'm surprised and a little disappointed that it doesn't support dynamic file names.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply