Email Notifications

• I have install SQL 2005 and I am using outlook, I want to add email notification for all my jobs completed.

I already created email id called SQLJobsnotifiation@company.com

I added this on the operator but still does not work?

Can someone help me. The NT team as already added SMTP entry on this box.

Nita

• are you using sql mail (2000) or database mail?

For both, make sure they are enabled in the surface area configuration options. If your using database mail (sql 2005 option) then make sure you have enabled a profile under the management option in SSMS. Then on your agent options on the "alert system" option make sure you have defined a mail profile to use.

If your still having problems can you post the error message your receiving.

• Thanks, I have enabled Database Mail, when I went to SQL Agent account when I enabled the Database Mail opetion but I don't see anything to select for Mail Profle?

How to get Mail Profile?

• Under the management option in SSMS there is a database mail option. double click and you will enter a database mail wizard. you can then setup a profile to be used (you need the IP or DNS name of your server, and a mail account you are going to use). Once you have done that then go to the agent and you should be able to select the new profile.

• I created Database Mail account and I can able to see but now I don't see any error and no email is generated.

When I created Database Mail setp up it was promptinng for Server name it should be SMPT server name or My SQL server name.? and the port infornt of servername is coming as 25?

Nita

• Nita Reddy (1/28/2008)

I created Database Mail account and I can able to see but now I don't see any error and no email is generated.

When I created Database Mail setp up it was promptinng for Server name it should be SMPT server name or My SQL server name.? and the port infornt of servername is coming as 25?

Nita

It should be the SMTP server (exchange or whatever you use). The default port for exchange is 25, although this may have been changed by your network admins, so your best asking them.

• Look at your Email client Account Settings and you may get the SMTP server Name

Vivek

• Thanks a Lot it worked 🙂

• I was successfully able to set up one of my server. When I did the same on other server I am getting this message.

It does says Database Mail server started in Database mail log.

The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 1 (2008-01-29T09:48:38). Exception Message: Could not connect to mail server. (A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond).

• Check your database mail profile setup again. Make sure you havnt spelt the email server name wrong or the profile it uses.

Is the server in the same domain as the other server you have successfully configured?

• It's in Same Domain and I have copy and pasted so I don't think its a spell mistake.

• Then it must be a firewall..Check the logs of any firewall system you have...Eg..Also check event logs..any indication of SMTP or any blocking?I did have the same problem before in SSIS sending email..But later unblocked the exe from Mcafee

Vivek

• No its not an firewall Issue I checked it.

• Is database mail definately ticked in the surface area configuration utility? Have you been into database mail and setup your profile, making sure the connection details to the SMTP server are correct (your server probably wont accept annonymous access). Then finally in your agent setup use the database mail profile?

If all that is done and its in the same domain etc as the other server you configured i cant see how its not working.

Try a simple EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail

@recipients = 'you@yourcompany.com',

@body = 'This is a test message',

@subject = 'Test' ;

Note - you will need to setup your mail profile as default profile, if not you need to specify the profile to use (see BOL)

See what messages, if any, you get back.

You should see "message queued"

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply