Email Notification message body contents

• I understand this may cause overhead but just wanted to ask anyway...

The message that is received once you post to a forum tells you that someone has posted a new reply. It then goes to provide the link to see it and a link to unscribe if desired. I was curious if the body/contents of the new reply/post, either partially or in full, could be added to that email notification? An example of what I am speaking of is the email notification sent out with Ask.SQLServerCentral.com, it tells me if a new comment was added to something I posted.

This is not necessarily lazyness talking but in some situations you may be viewing your emails and not be able to access SSC immediatly. If the email notification included some or all of the text in the post/reply it would help in telling you if you needed to make post a reply right then to continue helping the original poster or if it could wait. There are a few people that try to respond in a timely manner when helping someone out and I just thought it might be more efficient for us to see the response.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• In all honesty, it's probably to generate more page views to the site to generate more ad revenue.

SSC doesn't make any money if you just read the reply in your email and don't visit the site. They do make a tiny amount (or at least have more advertising power) if they get a page view out of it.

• Why would they do it for the Ask.SQLServerCentral.com site then? Do they not get revenue from that site?

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• I don't think there are any non-ssc ads on askssc (or redgate, who owns the site), but I could be wrong.

• It used to be to ensure traffic on the site. However the short answer is that it's how the forum software is configured. Most forum software (we bought this) does that. Ask is different software, and is configured separately.

Right now it's not a high priority change, but we'll talk about it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply