EM errors

• hot2use (10/24/2007)

Hi there

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for ...

SQL Server Management Studio just does not have Taskpad at all.

That's negative, not positive side of this application.

...but you could try this:

1. Click on a database in the Object Explorer

2. Make sure the Summary tab is displayed

3. Click on Report ...

4. ... and select for example Disk usage from the selection of reports

It's faster to open and run the script from my toolbox.

😉

I don't say it's bad application.

I say - comparing to SQL2000 tools it's worse.

• Thanks for all the responses.

I could not find a tab that was a summary tab nor a way to display one. Am I missing part of the functionality? I did use the disk usage report by right clicking the database and choosing reports > standard reports > disk usage. But, since this is a SQL 2005 server but the DBs are in 8.0 compatibility mode the report gave me an error. Only some of these reports work with DBs in 80 mode and most are slow. I guess I'll have to interrogate the system tables to find out what I need. A common question - how much of the allocated space for logs and data files is currently in use? Seems to me like a question that SSMS should have functionality to tell me - quickly.

BTW, I was only being sarcastic by calling EM "lousy" in case there was a question. It wasn't perfect and it did have some things that I would have liked to see in a new product but I would like to digress into a short rant. I haven't found any function I perform daily as a DBA that was available in EM that takes less clicks or is easier to perform in SSMS. Using SSMS I feel like my job is clickity, clickity, click, click, click, clickity, clicking something constantly - at one time I got so frustrated setting up some security I counted the click difference and it was great although I don't remember it now. One other feature of QA that I miss greatly was the non tabbed windows. I like to often enlarge my QA window and cascade windows in order before updates (minimizing each window after successful completion)so I can just go through each quickly, or arrange them in a particular order so I can work in two (or more) windows with two connections to test things and watch both at the same time etc. When you get more than a couple tabs it's difficult for me to keep track of them - I guess I haven't shifted to the tab paradigm with it's lack of visual space (meaning I can't use the space to arrange my windows or minimize them for various reasons). It's as if MS stuffed the tool into the development paradigm without thinking about the difference between development and management. There is a lot more data available in SQL 2005 for management of the databases (especially the statistics and index information) but the presentation of the GUI is not my favorite.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply