EM and QA show different counts

• Hi everyone. I have a dilema. Enterprise Mananger and Query Analyzer show different counts on one of my tables. QA is showing the right count. What is going on? Thanks in advance.

• How are you doing the counts in EM? If you are just looking at properties of the table, then you can possibly get a wrong count in EM. I am not sure why, but it might be related to statistics needing to be updated for the table.

• Agree will also update statistics.

Plan B run a DBCC UPDATEUSAGE.

Can you post the QA code

• I look at the counts in EM through the table properties. In QA, I run a simple "select count(1)" statement.

I have already ran a "Update statistics" statement. But it didn't help. Just ran DBCC UPDATEUSAGE, and it didn't help either.

Does anyone know where EM gets the count from?

• Did you run

DBCC UPDATEUSAGE (DB_NAME(),'TableName') WITH COUNT_ROWS

EM is getting it from SysIndexes.

-- sp_MStablespace

SELECT @rows = convert(int, rowcnt)
    FROM dbo.sysindexes
    WHERE indid < 2 and id = @id

How many records in the table

Maybe try a DBCC Checktable.

• TableName->OpenTable->Return All Rows; does it bring the same count as QA?

After all your update statistics, can you do a table->refresh from EM, and check ?just curious...

• quote:

How are you doing the counts in EM? If you are just looking at properties of the table, then you can possibly get a wrong count in EM. I am not sure why, but it might be related to statistics needing to be updated for the table.

-- exactly

• No flames please but you are on the same box same database

Did happens once, many moons ago many servers and many dbs after lots of coffee, etc.

• This did the trick:

DBCC UPDATEUSAGE (DB_NAME(),'TableName') WITH COUNT_ROWS

Thanks for your input everyone!!

• I've come across the same thing .... now I only use the count from EM properties as an approximation. I use select count(*) from either QM or EM if I need the "real" # of rows. Why doesn't EM update the statistics dynamically ?? Running update statistics is cumbersome and impractical.

• It is a terrible "bug" in my opinion. A lot of my tables had very different counts than those that EM showed. Some tables had thousands more rows of data than EM showed. I have set up a job to correct the numbers every morning, that should help a little.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply