Efficient Methodology

• Hello I am trying to pick a few ideas up on the most efficient way to gather about 400 million records.....I was looking for ideas on improving in the way of efficiency and speed.

WITH C

AS (

SELECT E.EmpID,

T.TrainingDateTime,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER

(PARTITION BY E.EmpID ORDER BY T.TrainingDateTime DESC) AS RowNumber

FROM emp.employee AS E

JOIN emp.training AS T

ON E.EmpID=T.EmpID)

SELECT * INTO emp.recent_training FROM C WHERE RowNumber <=10

• Both queries are not equivalent. The first will return 10 rows and the second one will return 10 rows per EmpID.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Sorry Luis....I edited the post. Is there a more efficient way/Faster option to produce results than what I have listed now?

• Maybe I'm missing something but it seems that you're not using any column from table employee. You could remove it. If you need the information, I would join it out of the CTE. I left this last option commented so you can test by yourself. I'm not sure if will actually help the performance but you can try. I can't find any better option at the time.

WITH C

AS (

SELECT T.EmpID,

T.TrainingDateTime,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER

(PARTITION BY T.EmpID ORDER BY T.TrainingDateTime DESC) AS RowNumber

FROM emp.training AS T)

SELECT *

INTO emp.recent_training

FROM C

--JOIN emp.employee AS E ON C.EmpID = E.EmpID

WHERE RowNumber <=10

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply