Edition upgradation and licence Keys

• Hi All,

I'm having some doubts on Edition upgrade.

1) We have SQLServer 2008 R2 Enterprise Evaluation edition now.

Can we apply SQLSerever 2008 R2 standard edition licence key?

2) Do we have only one trail edition i.e enterprise evaluation edition for all editions ? or each edition have seperate trail edition ?

3)Enterprise evaluation edition accepts only enterprise edition lincence key or any edition licence key when we are doing edtion upgrade.

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards,

Ravichandra.

• ravisamigo (5/17/2012)

Hi All,

I'm having some doubts on Edition upgrade.

1) We have SQLServer 2008 R2 Enterprise Evaluation edition now.

Can we apply SQLSerever 2008 R2 standard edition licence key?

2) Do we have only one trail edition i.e enterprise evaluation edition for all editions ? or each edition have seperate trail edition ?

3)Enterprise evaluation edition accepts only enterprise edition lincence key or any edition licence key when we are doing edtion upgrade.

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards,

Ravichandra.

1 - No, you will need to uninstall the trail and then install Standard

2 - Yes, it is one trial, and is Enterprise as it gives full functionality so that you can make a choice as if you need Standard or Enterprise

3 - Yes, Enterprise licence keys can be used for Enterprise & Standard (provided you check your downgrade rights), Standard keys for Standard only

• Thanks Anthony for your prompt reply.

Can't we apply the directly standard edition license key without uninstall the enterprise evaluation edition in SQLServer 2008 R2?

Earlier we have the SQLServer 2008 R2 enterprise evaluation edition, but I have applied the developer edition license key directly on this without uninstall the enterprise evaluation edition.

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards,

Ravichandra.

• Developer == Enterprise but with special license rules

Standard != Enterprise

You can install Standard over the top, but will be a named instance

• Oh, and "Upgradation" isn't really a valid word in English. Just use "Upgrade" instead.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (5/17/2012)

Oh, and "Upgradation" isn't really a valid word in English. Just use "Upgrade" instead.

You find it used off-shore, particularly India: http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/upgradation

We now have, English, American English, and Indian English.

• Lynn Pettis (5/17/2012)

RBarryYoung (5/17/2012)

Oh, and "Upgradation" isn't really a valid word in English. Just use "Upgrade" instead.

You find it used off-shore, particularly India: http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/upgradation

Nope, even in Indian it's officially slang, Lynn. (and no, it's not jargon either) That makes it like "Ain't", which as we all know "ain't a word."

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Well, "officially" is too strong on my part, I'm not sure that India has an official arbiter of their dialect of English since leaving the Empire. Unless they still use the OED for that, in which case it is official.

[/font]

• RBarryYoung (5/17/2012)

Lynn Pettis (5/17/2012)

RBarryYoung (5/17/2012)

Nope, even in Indian it's officially slang, Lynn. (and no, it's not jargon either) That makes it like "Ain't", which as we all know "ain't a word."

But ain't is a word, it is a contraction for am not. When I was growing up, ain't wasn't in the dictionary, but it is now.

It won't be long and upgradation will be an official word. Look how quickly Google became more than the name of a company. Example, "You may want to Google that some time."

• You know, the more I think about and look into this, the more I suspect that I may be just totally wrong. Let's just forget the whole thing ...

[/font]

• But it is fun. You haven't been around for a while and getting into a conversation over nothing is fun.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply