Edition of RS/SQLServer2k

• Does the edition of the Reporting Services you install have to match the edition of the SQLServer2K.  I am running Standard SQLServer2k and will be attempting an install of reporting services as soon as I can get another server.  Just would like to know this answer up front.

Thanks.

• I think there is only one version of RS.  The system requirements from Microsoft say that RS will work on SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition with SP3 or later.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/productinfo/sysreqs.asp

Hope this helps.

Jarret

• I was meaning in regards to licensing....we are licensed for only standard edition sqlserver2k... is the reporting services edition somehow connected or independent of that? 

• As long as the server you are going to be running RS on is licensed for SQL Server 2000, you can install RS on it at no additional cost.

It is independent of the edition of SQL Server 2000 you have, if you have a license for Standard, Developers, or Enterprise editions, you can install RS on that same computer without any additional licences.  However, you said you would be installing it on another server, that new server will need a license for SQL Server 2000 as well.

Check the first question from this FAQ list:  http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/howtobuy/faq.asp

Jarret

• I guess what is confusing me is that the documentation I have for reporting services installing says there are different editions of REPORTING SERVICES:standard, enterprise, developer, and evaluation.  There are standard, enterprise, developer for sql server 2000 also. 

I haven't tried to install yet, so maybe I don't select which edition of reporting services on the install...i was just trying to prepare for install and wanted to make sure I didn't install something I wasn't licensed for. 

If given the option, would it be legal to install enterprise reporting services against a license for standard sql server?

• I was unaware that there were different versions of RS, a co-workers of mine downloaded the version for me (turns out to be the Developer Edition).  Here's the EULA displayed when I installed RS.

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, Developer Edition

1.   General. 

The accompanying Microsoft software includes computer sftware and may include associated media, printed materials, "online" or electronic documentation, and Internet-based services associated with a Microsoft software product (collectively, the "UPDATE SOFTWARE").  The UPDATE SOFTWARE is a component of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition ("the SOFTWARE"); the UPDATE SOFTWARE updates, supplements, or replaces existing functionality of the SOFTWARE.  Your use of the UPDATE SOFTWARE is subject to the terms and conditions of the end user license agreement (either from Microsoft or some other entity) under which you have licensed the SOFTWARE (the "Software EULA") and this Supplemental EULA. 

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A VALIDLY LICENSED COPY OF THE SOFTWARE, YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO INSTALL, COPY OR OTHERWISE USE THE UPDATE SOFTWARE AND YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS UNDER THIS SUPPLEMENTAL EULA.

By reading this, it seems that you will need to install the Standard edition of RS.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jarret

• There are three editions of SQLRS, standard, enterprise and developer. The evaluation edition is effectively a time-limited install of the developer edition. You must have the equivalent SQL Server license to be licensed to run the edition of SQLRS that you've installed.

Eg: If you have SQL Server standard, you can install SQLRS standard

I think the webservice portion of SQLRS actually does a check against SQL Server to determine the edition.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• What is the developer edition limited to? I have sql 2000 Enterprise. Will it install correctly. This is our development box.

Thanks,

Bobby

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply