editing parameters

• Hey all...I have a parameterized report set up and I was wondering if this was possible...at the top of the screen where you can select your parameter in the published report and then you have to click "view report" to see it...is there a way where i can edit what the "view report" button says?  And if that's not possible, is there a way where i can instead have a pop-up appear and have the user select the parameters in that window and have it somehow read by the report, bypassing the need of that upper bar?  Thanks in advance for any help.

• I'm not sure about what you can configure.  Check there first.  If you cannot, here's my two cents on it...

I think you will most likely have to write your own aspx/asp page to call the report server instead of using the report manager.

Remeber, you can call any parameterized report using a URL and query string.  So, create an aspx page with a list of reports.  You can do this by using the web services.  There are some examples in the sample files.  Then, when a user clicks on a report, use a javascript popup dialog to open another web page to request parameter values.  Return those values to the main page (similar to a web calendar control when asking for a date).  When you get the parameters, construct your URL and request the report from the report server.

• I know that the parameters page can be edited any way you need with a little code. How to to this I do not know but http://www.sqlreportingservices.net/default.aspx is a place to see it in action. William (Bill) Vaughn and Peter Blackburn authors of the book Hitchhiker's Guide to SQL Server Reporting Services is going to have that section in there which is scheduled to come out in September. I just wish we did not have to wait that long. I you want to see their example you need to go to the tools section and choose the Custom Parameters Demonstration. You will need to registor for his site at no cost. I know this does not help much but it give you an idea what can be done. One of his demo is a large map with select points, you click on a state and it populate the parameters with the values. Real need.

• Thanks for the replies guys...what I found out to work was set up a html site and based on the user input load the correct url...here's my new dilemma now though...previously using the "reporting services" parameters the user was allowed to select from a group of choices based on a DISTINCT function:

SELECT     'All' AS Graduatingyear

UNION

SELECT DISTINCT Graduatingyear

FROM         listing

ORDER BY Graduatingyear

I may be missing the obvious but how would I go about creating a drop-down menu that has the Graduatingyear choices in it?  Here are two .html files I found and modified somewhat to start me along...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Toolbar.htm

<HTML>

<BODY>

<FORM id="frmRender" action=website in quotes 

method="post" target="Main">

<INPUT type="hidden" name="rs:Command" value="Render">

<INPUT type="hidden" name="rc:LinkTarget" value="main">

<INPUT type="hidden" name="rs:Format" value="HTML4.0">

<INPUT type="hidden" name="rcarameters" value="False">

<INPUT type="text" name="Search">

<INPUT type="submit" value="View Report">

</FORM>

</BODY>

</HTML>

Default.htm

<HTML>

<BODY>

<IFRAME ID="Top" src="toolbar.htm" width=100% height=10% />

<IFRAME ID="Main" Name="Main" src="" width=100% height=90% />

</BODY>

</HTML>

• I guess that option is OK but I don't like the idea of the user having to return back to the html page to re-enter parameters if they want to re-qury the report.

As for your question, it really depends if you want to hard code the html or use a data connection to pull the data into your drop down....

• i'd like to use a data connection to fill the drop-down menu...any other ideas you have in mind besides doing it as i have above?

• Are you able to create a asp.net application or do you need to do it in asp?

• unfortunately i'm unable to work with an asp.net application

• I do not have any samples for asp applications and you cannot do it by HTML alone unless you hard code it, which I do not recommend.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply