Edit multiple stored procedures

• Thanx for the advice. How much work is it to set up a new server? We use VM here.

• Build a normal windows machine, provision disks to it, install SQL, copy logins and server permissions for the required logins, copy over the databases. I'm sure there is a bit more but this is something you should already know how to do.. The setup of the base machine is often handled by a different group but DBAs typically handle all the database portions.

CEWII

• Thanx.

• NineIron (7/24/2013)

I need to create 5 test databases by copying the live db's. There are many stored procedures in each db. Each sp is told which db to use, Use [NEHEN_prod]. I've been told that I have to go into each sp, about 50 per db, and change the NEHEN_prod to NEHEN_test. Is this necessary? If so, is there an easy way of doing it?

Below is a script I just put together that will do through each stored procedure in a DB and perform a find/replace (replace @oldvalue with @newvalue). It works by (1) deleting the proc then recreating it with the old value (@oldvalue) replaced by the new value (@newvalue). It works as-is but I highly recommend you add some error handling...

The proc:

CREATE PROC dbo.proc_find_replace

(@oldValue varchar(100),

@newValue varchar(100))

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

-- global temp table for storing proc names and DDL definition

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..##sprocDef') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE ##sprocDef;

CREATE TABLE ##sprocDef (sproc varchar(100), ROUTINE_DEFINITION varchar(max));

DECLARE @sproc varchar(100),

@routine varchar(max),

@execSQL varchar(max),

@n int=1,

@m int=

(SELECT COUNT(*)

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES

WHERE ROUTINE_TYPE = 'PROCEDURE');

-- FOR EACH proc in {yourdb}.INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES:

-- (1) drop it

-- (2) recreate it replacing @oldValue with @newValue

WHILE @n<=@m

BEGIN

--colect the name and DDL for each proc in ##sprocDef

DECLARE @sprocDef varchar(1000)=

'INSERT INTO ##sprocDef'+CHAR(13)+

'SELECT TOP 1

SPECIFIC_SCHEMA+''.''+SPECIFIC_NAME AS Sproc,

OBJECT_DEFINITION (OBJECT_ID(SPECIFIC_SCHEMA+''.''+SPECIFIC_NAME)) AS ROUTINE_DEFINITION

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES

WHERE ROUTINE_TYPE = ''PROCEDURE''

AND SPECIFIC_SCHEMA+''.''+SPECIFIC_NAME NOT IN (SELECT sproc FROM ##sprocDef)';

EXEC(@sprocDef);

SELECT@sproc=sproc,

@routine=ROUTINE_DEFINITION

FROM ##sprocDef;

SET @execSQL=

'IF OBJECT_ID(''ajbTest.'+@sproc+''') IS NOT NULL DROP PROC '+@sproc+';'

PRINT 'Executing:'+@execSQL

EXEC(@execSQL);

SET @execSQL=''+@routine+CHAR(13);

SET @execSQL=REPLACE(@execSQL,@oldValue,@newValue);

PRINT 'Executing:'+@execSQL

EXEC(@execSQL);

SET @n=@n+1;

END;

PRINT REPLICATE('-',80)+CHAR(13)+'ALL DONE :)'

DROP TABLE ##sprocDef;

END

GO

Example:

EXEC dbo.proc_find_replace @oldValue='NEHEN_prod', @newValue='NEHEN_test';

Lastly: backup your procs before running this script!

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Thanx. Will do.

• Elliott Whitlow (7/24/2013)

2. I have an article in the works that discusses NEVER using 3 part names in code and using synonyms to point to objects external to the local database. But I do see your point.

CEWII

We actually just started doing that in one of our new applications. It messes with intellisense a bit, but overall, it's worked fairly well for us. As we have different names for our prod and dev databases for this application, we even created a script that will repoint the synonyms to the appropriate database.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• LightVader (7/25/2013)

Elliott Whitlow (7/24/2013)

2. I have an article in the works that discusses NEVER using 3 part names in code and using synonyms to point to objects external to the local database. But I do see your point.

CEWII

We actually just started doing that in one of our new applications. It messes with intellisense a bit, but overall, it's worked fairly well for us. As we have different names for our prod and dev databases for this application, we even created a script that will repoint the synonyms to the appropriate database.

The tool to handle repointing is the part 2 of the article. But I highly recommend it.. And yeah it does freak out intellisense.. But the code not having to change or any of the other methods is well worth it..

CEWII

• Elliott Whitlow (7/25/2013)

LightVader (7/25/2013)

Elliott Whitlow (7/24/2013)

CEWII

The tool to handle repointing is the part 2 of the article. But I highly recommend it.. And yeah it does freak out intellisense.. But the code not having to change or any of the other methods is well worth it..

CEWII

Agreed. It was a nice way to separate most of our code from the vendor database.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply