Edit / Find and Replace in BIDS

• If any of you have tried looking for a specific text string 'somewhere' in a package with fifty or more components using the above function, you will find that this function does an adequate job of identifying the 'found' occurrences - in XML format. But what component does each occurrence belong to?

It would be great if the component containing the found text could be opened, or selected, when the found text is clicked. You've done the design using the GUI - who wants to look at the unfamiliar XML behind it?

But as far as I know, that's what you have to do to determine which component contains the 'found' text. Unless anyone knows a better way?

Cheers

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil,

Yes, that would be a handy feature. But, then again, knowing how to grovel around in, and make sense of, the barely decipherable source code is why we get paid the big bucks, right?

Rob Schripsema
    Propack, Inc.

• Damn right. I really feel like I'm doing valuable work when I'm chest deep in obtuse XML hierarchies.

Perhaps I should withdraw the post and take a few minutes to reflect on just how lucky I am to be doing this 😀

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (5/12/2011)

Damn right. I really feel like I'm doing valuable work when I'm chest deep in obtuse XML hierarchies.

Perhaps I should withdraw the post and take a few minutes to reflect on just how lucky I am to be doing this 😀

Atta boy! Now, that's the spirit! Go get 'em!:crazy:

Rob Schripsema
    Propack, Inc.

• Phil Parkin (5/12/2011)

Damn right. I really feel like I'm doing valuable work when I'm chest deep in obtuse XML hierarchies.

Aaaah, we all have those days when we are in perfect harmony with our SSIS environment 😀 :hehe:

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply