Easy Licenses

• Elliott W (1/23/2010)

I can think of a couple reasons, the first one is an organization with dozens of SQL servers, the CAL is applicable to ANY SQL server of the version it is licensed for. So if you have 100 SQL 2008 CALs then the users of those CALs can connect to ANY SQL server in your organization.

The statement I would make is don't assume a particular licensing scheme, work the numbers.

CEWII

Yes, of course work the numbers. And I think that if you work the numbers you'll find that the break-even point is exactly where I said it would be - at 34 users per server CPU (68 users for 2 server CPUs [typically 34 users per 4 server cores when last I looked at the hardware] and so on). There will be organisations where there are lots of servers and not many users, where it will be appropiate to use CALs - but these will be few and far between. There will be small[ish] organisations where there is a very small number of users, so it will be appropriate to use CALS. I think these two classes of licensees together represent a very small portion of the people who would read the article.

Tom

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply