e-mail attachments & centralised db server

• Hi, Can anyone out there help? We are restructuring our intranet to have a centralised database server and application servers at the remote sites. We are running SQL Server 7. We currently e-mail (we use Lotus Notes) our supplier schedules etc. We are having problems with trying to attach them if they are on the centralised database server and the job is running on the app server, it just does not seem to want to know. Are we stuck with this, having to have the attachment files on the app servers or does anyone out there know how we can get it to work? We want to have all data centralised because I discovered a couple of weeks ago that it is touch and go as to whether the remote servers are secured. I was horrified by this as they have a lot of data that is there and only there.

• Im not sure what you're asking - you're having a problem with Notes?

Andy

• No, or maybe yes. At present, with the databases and the data files on the remote servers we can create the attachments with no problem. When we try to create the attachment from the remote server of a file which is on the central server it just loses the plot. We have to give it the fully qualified path to the file we want to attach, but if the file is not on the same server as the one trying to create the mail attachment it fails. I guess we will just have to keep the files on the remote servers.

• Well, lets narrow it down a bit. What part does SQL Server play in your business? Does it store/generate the attachments?

Andy

• It sounds like your files are being kept on the filesystem and not as BLOBs. Is this correct? As Andy asked, what does SQL Server do in this configuration?

K. Brian Kelley

bk@warpdrivedesign.org

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply