Dynamic "Top N"

• I currently need to be able to select the top N records based on a parameter that is passed in from the application level. What I currently have is:

SET @SQL = 'SELECT TOP ' + CONVERT(varchar(10), @number) + ' rest of query'

exec (@SQL)

Is there a different/better way to do this?

• Look at SET ROWCOUNT which will offer the ability to do this in a SP much better.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Thanks for the quick reply, but I was totally unclear as to what I really needed. If you look at the code below I am retrieving this data via paging and need both of the TOP clauses to be dynamic. The only way I have got this to work is using EXEC (@myquery). I am also curious if using sp_executesql would help in this instance or if the dynamic TOP would cause SQL not to reuse the query plan.

select top 10 ArcadeTournament.atrn_GUID, ply_FirstName, ply_LastName, agam_NumberOfPitches, atrn_StartDate, tm_HomeUID, tm_AwayUID, gm_Date

from ArcadeTournament

join ArcadeResults on ArcadeTournament.atrn_UID = ArcadeResults.atrn_UID

join ArcadeGame on ArcadeTournament.atrn_UID = ArcadeGame.atrn_UID

join BSB_Player on ArcadeGame.ply_PitcherUID = BSB_Player.ply_UID

join BSB_Game on ArcadeGame.gm_UID = BSB_Game.gm_UID

where ArcadeResults.husr_UID = @user-id

and ArcadeTournament.atrn_UID not in

(selecttop 10 ArcadeTournament.atrn_UID

from ArcadeTournament

join ArcadeResults on ArcadeTournament.atrn_UID = ArcadeResults.atrn_UID

where husr_CreatorUID = @user-id

order by atrn_StartDate desc

)

order byatrn_StartDate desc

Thanks for the assistance.

--joe

• Check out this thread, another poster had a similar piece. http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4082&FORUM_ID=23&CAT_ID=2&Topic_Title=Parameter%20to%20the%20TOP%20operator&Forum_Title=General

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply