Dynamic Table Creation

• In the creation of a report, I need to set up a temporary table. The problem is, I don't know how many columns I need.

For example, I want to list all pupils from one class in a school and show their main teacher. However, I also want to list any additional teacher they may have with in the same record.

Pupil Name, Age, Main Teacher, 2nd Teacher, 3rd Teacher, etc.

Pupil 1, 6, Teacher A, , ,

Pupil 2, 7, Teacher A, Teacher C, ,

Pupil 3, 6, Teacher A, Teacher B, Teacher C,

Pupil 4, 6, Teacher A, Teacher B, ,

Before I begin, I guess I would need to count how many different teachers there are, but how do I then create a table with the correct number of columns dynamically?

• If you know how many columns you want to create, you could do something like this to dynamically build the create table statement.

declare @colcnt int

declare @cmd varchar(1000)

declare @i int

-- this variable is set to the number of columns you want to create

set @colcnt = 10

set @i = 0

while @i < @colcnt

begin

set @i = @i + 1

if len(@cmd) > 0 set @cmd = @cmd + ','

set @cmd = isnull(@cmd,'') + 'col_' + rtrim(cast(@i as char(2))) +

' varchar(50)'

end

set @cmd = 'create table ##dynamic (' + @cmd + ')'

exec (@cmd)

select * from ##dynamic

drop table ##dynamic

Gregory A. Larsen, DBA

Contributor to 'The Best of SQLServerCentral.com 2002' book. Get a copy here: http:www.sqlservercentral.com/bestof/purchase.asp

Need SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.geocities.com/sqlserverexamples

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• Thanks Greg

I modified this a little to parse in the rowcount from the previous table which enabled me to create how ever many columns were needed.

• I would not use a temp table if the final result is

Pupil 1, 6, Teacher A, Teacher B , ...

You Can construct the Teacher A, B, .. into One Column and pass that to the client for furhter processing

* Noel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply