Dynamic SQl error - I might be doing something wrong.

• Please run below code

----------------------------

set nocount on

declare @role varchar(255),@dbname varchar(255)

declare @rowid int

declare @user nvarchar(255)

declare @cmd varchar(8000)

set @dbname = 'Mydatabasedashboardaaaaaaaaa1111'

set @role = 'db_owner' -- Change database role name as appropriate

set @user = 'domain\devgroup'

select @cmd1 = 'USE '+@dbname+char(13)+

'if exists ( select [name] from sys.database_principals where [name] = '''+@user+''')'+char(13)+

'drop user '+'['+@user+']'+char(13)+

'CREATE USER ['+@user+'] FOR LOGIN ['+@user+']'+char(13)+

'EXEC sp_addrolemember '''+@role+''','''+@user+''''+char(13)

from sys.server_principals

where 1 =1

select @cmd

-----------------------

--Output:

/*

USE Mydatabasedashboardaaaaaaaaa1111

if exists ( select [name] from sys.database_principals where [name] = 'domain\devgroup')

drop user [domain\devgroup]

CREATE USER [domain\devgroup] FOR LOGIN [domain\devgroup]

EXEC sp_addrolemember 'db_owner','domain\de

The output is being truncated in last line even after declaring @cmd with varchar(8000) and nvarchar(max).

I might be doing something stupid ,Can you please help me with this issue?

*/

• sqlbee19 (5/23/2012)

Please run below code

----------------------------

set nocount on

declare @rowid int

'if exists ( select [name] from sys.database_principals where [name] = '''+@user+''')'+char(13)+

where 1 =1

select @cmd

-----------------------

--Output:

/*

USE Mydatabasedashboardaaaaaaaaa1111

if exists ( select [name] from sys.database_principals where [name] = 'domain\devgroup')

drop user [domain\devgroup]

CREATE USER [domain\devgroup] FOR LOGIN [domain\devgroup]

EXEC sp_addrolemember 'db_owner','domain\de

The output is being truncated in last line even after declaring @cmd with varchar(8000) and nvarchar(max).

I might be doing something stupid ,Can you please help me with this issue?

*/

we had this on the forums a few days ago - why are you doing -

where 1 =1

try removing this and your code will work

MVDBA

• the multiple rows returned in your select statement are corrupting the @cmd value - in theory the value returned should be correct (although if you use any fields from sys.server_principals you will always set the value based on the last row returned)

MVDBA

• michael vessey (5/23/2012)

the multiple rows returned in your select statement are corrupting the @cmd value - in theory the value returned should be correct (although if you use any fields from sys.server_principals you will always set the value based on the last row returned)

Thanks. This is not exactly what I am running. I just editing it so that it will be easy to understand.

I am looking for why the output is being truncated?

It is being truncated even when it is selecting 1 row.

• the truncation is because by default, to save memory, SSMS limits the Results-To-Text to the first 256 characters, regardless of the results.

change it in your options to 8000

not that no matter what size you put in there, the max limit is 8000 chars; so the data might have more, but SSMS will only display the first 8000.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• awesome Lowell.

It works. Thank you.

• Check the setting in SSMS. Tools -> Options -> Query Results -> SQL Server -> Results to Grid and Results to Text.

• sqlbee19 (5/23/2012)

michael vessey (5/23/2012)

the multiple rows returned in your select statement are corrupting the @cmd value - in theory the value returned should be correct (although if you use any fields from sys.server_principals you will always set the value based on the last row returned)

Thanks. This is not exactly what I am running. I just editing it so that it will be easy to understand.

next time, please post the correct code so we don't spend our own time chasing up false negatives 😛

MVDBA

• michael vessey (5/24/2012)

sqlbee19 (5/23/2012)

next time, please post the correct code so we don't spend our own time chasing up false negatives 😛

oh and the reason the code was truncated when 1 row was returned is because of the bugs within select @= when you use a recordset - even with 1 row

MVDBA

michael vessey (5/24/2012)

sqlbee19 (5/23/2012)

oh and the reason the code was truncated when 1 row was returned is because of the bugs within select @= when you use a recordset - even with 1 row

Can you please read the thread from begining,I have already got answers from "Lowell" and "Lynn Pettis" and I did acknowledged that it worked for me.

There is nothing wrong in code,The issue is with SSMS settings.

• and please re-read the thread yourself - lowels reponse was to change the "query results to text" - which is nothing to do with a select to a grid (although lowel makes a good point, i'm not knocking him)

the issue you were having "can" (but not always) be as a result of useing select @= when there are multiple rows, which is why i suggested it- like i said - why post the bit saying "from ... where 1=1" when this is going to lead us up the garden path

hence i feel justified in asking you to post more accuratly next time

MVDBA

and please re-read the thread yourself - lowels reponse was to change the "query results to text" - which is nothing to do with a select to a grid (although lowel makes a good point, i'm not knocking him)

the issue you were having "can" (but not always) be as a result of useing select @= when there are multiple rows, which is why i suggested it- like i said - why post the bit saying "from ... where 1=1" when this is going to lead us up the garden path

hence i feel justified in asking you to post more accuratly next time

agreed;

i had adapted his code below so I could test it like this, specifically because it wasn't the right syntax due to multiple rows.

When i saw he mentioned his truncated rusults, i counted characters and knew it was the 256 issue.

declare @rowid int

SELECT 'USE ' + @dbname + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10)

+ 'if exists ( select [name] from sys.database_principals where [name] = ''' + @user + ''')' + char(13) + CHAR(10)

+ 'drop user ' + '[' + @user + ']' + char(13) + + CHAR(10)

+ 'CREATE USER [' + @user + '] FOR LOGIN [' + @user + ']' + char(13) + + CHAR(10)

+ 'EXEC sp_addrolemember ''' + @role + ''',''' + @user + '''' + char(13)

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I know "where 1 = 1" doesnt make sence but somehow I used it in thread. I was more concerned on the output being truncated then the bug in my code.

Thanks guys for your time.

Here is my actual script.

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[stp_loginscript]] Script Date: 05/24/2012 13:15:08 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

ALTER procedure [dbo].[Stp_loginscript]

( @windowslogin nvarchar(100)

)

as

begin

set nocount on

--set @dbname = 'AdventureWorks' -- Change database name as appropriate

declare @test-2 table (RowId int Identity(1,1),[name] varchar(255))

declare @dbcount int

declare @rowid int

declare @cmd nvarchar(1000) ,@cmd1 nvarchar(4000)

select @user =@windowslogin

insert into @test-2([name]) select [name] from sys.databases where [name] not in ('master',

'tempdb',

'model',

'msdb',

'distribution')

select @dbcount = max(rowid) from @test-2

set @rowid = 1

if not exists ( select [name] from sys.server_principals where [name] = @user)

begin

select @cmd = 'use master '+char(13)+char(13)+'CREATE LOGIN ['+@user+'] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master], DEFAULT_LANGUAGE=[us_english]'+char(13)

--select @cmd

exec sp_executesql @cmd

end

while 1 = 1

BEGIN

select @dbname = name from @test-2 where rowid = @rowid

where type_desc in ('SQL_LOGIN','WINDOWS_GROUP','WINDOWS_LOGIN')

and [name] =@user

set @rowid = @rowid +1

select @cmd1

if @rowid >@dbcount

BREAK

END

end

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply