Dynamic SQL and User defined Functions..

• Hello All..

I need to execute Dynamic SQL in a user defined function after passing the table name as a parameter and the return value has to a table. When I try to do this I get the error message

"Only functions and extended stored procedures can be executed from within a function."

Please Help

Kiran

• Here's the allowed list:

• Assignment statements.
    • Control-of-Flow statements.
    • DECLARE statements defining data variables and cursors that are local to the function.
    • SELECT statements containing select lists with expressions that assign values to variables that are local to the function.
    • Cursor operations referencing local cursors that are declared, opened, closed, and deallocated in the function. Only FETCH statements that assign values to local variables using the INTO clause are allowed; FETCH statements that return data to the client are not allowed.
    • INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE statements modifying table variables local to the function.
    • EXECUTE statements calling an extended stored procedures.

In order to execute Dynamic SQL queries, you're either doing:

EXEC(<Dynamic SQL String>)

or

EXEC sp_executesql <Dynamic SQL String>

Which would violate the above list. You can use EXEC, but for extended stored procedures (xp_*).

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• You could make a stored procedure that creates a table. Then you can pass more things to it.

Bill

William.Markham@pnl.gov

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply