Dynamic Sorting Issue

• Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty sure that this is possible but I am stuck. I am trying to write a query that sorts based on a couple variables... This query works perfectly:

--WORKING

DECLARE @Sort1 varchar(10)='val3';

DECLARE @Sort2 varchar(10)='val2';

DECLARE @x TABLE (val1 varchar(10) not null, val2 varchar(10) not null,val3 varchar(10));

INSERT @x VALUES ('xxx','ccc','1a'),('yyy','bbb','5a'),('zzz','aaa','2a'),

('xxx','ccc','5a'),('yyy','bbb','5a')

SELECT * FROM @x

ORDER BY CASE @Sort1

WHEN 'val1' THEN val1

WHEN 'val2' THEN val2

WHEN 'val3' THEN val3

END,

CASE @Sort2

WHEN 'val1' THEN val1

WHEN 'val2' THEN val2

WHEN 'val3' THEN val3

END

The issue is that val3 needs to be an int. In the updated sample below the query works if @Sort1 = 'val3'. If @sort='val1' or 'val2' the query will fail with the error: 'Conversion failed when converting the varchar value 'ccc' to data type int.' I can get it to work if I change WHEN 'val3' THEN val3 to WHEN 'val3' THEN CAST(val3 AS varchar(10)) but then it will sort it as a string (1,11,2,21,22,3,4,etc...) which is not what I need.

DECLARE @Sort1 varchar(10)='val2'; --NOTE: @Sort2 ommitted from this example because I am still stuck on @sort1

--DECLARE @Sort1 varchar(10)='val3';

DECLARE @x TABLE (val1 varchar(10) not null, val2 varchar(10) not null,val3 int);

INSERT @x VALUES ('xxx','ccc',1),('yyy','bbb',5),('zzz','aaa',11),

('xxx','ccc',5),('yyy','bbb',5)

SELECT * FROM @x

ORDER BY CASE @Sort1

WHEN 'val1' THEN val1

WHEN 'val2' THEN val2

WHEN 'val3' THEN val3

END

I have been CASTing and CTEing by brains out with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Actually, is not that difficult but sometimes we get stuck on the simplest things. 🙂

Change this code as desired

DECLARE @Sort1 varchar(10)='val3'; --NOTE: @Sort2 ommitted from this example because I am still stuck on @sort1

DECLARE @x TABLE (val1 varchar(10) not null, val2 varchar(10) not null,val3 int);

SELECT * FROM @x

ORDER BY CASE @Sort1

WHEN 'val1' THEN val1

WHEN 'val2' THEN val2

WHEN 'val3' THEN RIGHT( REPLICATE('0', 10) + CAST( val3 AS varchar(10)), 10)

END

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Thanks Luis!

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• My aversion to Carpal Tunnel insists that I suggest this:

DECLARE @Sort1 varchar(10)='val3'; --NOTE: @Sort2 ommitted from this example because I am still stuck on @sort1

SELECT * FROM @x

ORDER BY CASE @Sort1

WHEN 'val1' THEN val1

WHEN 'val2' THEN val2

WHEN 'val3' THEN RIGHT( 10000000000+val3, 10)

END

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Slightly shorter

SELECT * FROM @x

ORDER BY CASE @Sort1

WHEN 'val1' THEN val1

WHEN 'val2' THEN val2

WHEN 'val3' THEN STR(val3, 10)

END

STR produces a right-aligned space-padded string the length of the second argument.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen (8/19/2013)

Slightly shorter

SELECT * FROM @x

ORDER BY CASE @Sort1

WHEN 'val1' THEN val1

WHEN 'val2' THEN val2

WHEN 'val3' THEN STR(val3, 10)

END

STR produces a right-aligned space-padded string the length of the second argument.

Drew

My Carpal Tunnel thanks you Drew!

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply