Dynamic Pivot using XML as column list

• I am trying to pull out a list of products from a product table, in the form of a comma separated and square bracket enclosed list. I then pass the list in to a pivot table so that in the future if any products are added or removed from the product table, the corresponding column is added/removed from the result set.

The code I am using to extract the list of products in a single record is:
    SELECT @ColumnsForPivot = CAST((SELECT STUFF((SELECT ',[' + CAST(fldProductCode AS VARCHAR(255)) + ']' FROM tlkp_Product ORDER BY fldProductCode FOR XML PATH('')),1,1,'')) AS VARCHAR(MAX))

This returns data as follows (which is not what I am after):
    [32BAG],[AB-WSSS],[AF(H/L)1],[SPEC&MORT],[USForm 68]

I need the data without special characters converted to entities, like this:

I have added the square brackets because when the product names are used as columns in my pivot, some will contain spaces or start with a number.

Is there an easier way to maintain these 'special/reserved characters' or do I need to use the REPLACE command?

• Try this

SELECT @ColumnsForPivot = CAST((SELECT STUFF((SELECT ',[' + CAST(fldProductCode AS VARCHAR(255)) + ']'
               FROM tlkp_Product
                                    ORDER BY fldProductCode FOR XML PATH(''),TYPE).value('./text()[1]','VARCHAR(MAX)'),1,1,'')) AS VARCHAR(MAX))

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • r.gall - Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:32 AM

I am trying to pull out a list of products from a product table, in the form of a comma separated and square bracket enclosed list. I then pass the list in to a pivot table so that in the future if any products are added or removed from the product table, the corresponding column is added/removed from the result set.

SELECT @ColumnsForPivot = CAST((SELECT STUFF((SELECT ',[' + CAST(fldProductCode AS VARCHAR(255)) + ']' FROM tlkp_Product ORDER BY fldProductCode FOR XML PATH('')),1,1,'')) AS VARCHAR(MAX))

I have added the square brackets because when the product names are used as columns in my pivot, some will contain spaces or start with a number.

Is there an easier way to maintain these 'special/reserved characters' or do I need to use the REPLACE command?

There's an easier way than replace. You just need to add some options to the XML.

CREATE TABLE #tlkp_Product(
      fldProductCode varchar(255))
    INSERT INTO #tlkp_Product VALUES('32BAG'),('AB-WSSS'),('AF(H/L)1'),('SPEC&MORT'),('USForm 68');

DECLARE @ColumnsForPivot varchar(max);
    SELECT @ColumnsForPivot = STUFF((SELECT ',' + QUOTENAME( CAST(fldProductCode AS VARCHAR(255)))
               FROM #tlkp_Product
               ORDER BY fldProductCode FOR XML PATH(''),TYPE).value('./text()[1]', 'varchar(max)'),1,1,'');

SELECT @ColumnsForPivot;
    GO
    DROP TABLE #tlkp_Product;

I also used the QUOTENAME function to prevent errors if you have square brackets in your column names.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Mark Cowne - Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:48 AM

Try this

SELECT @ColumnsForPivot = CAST((SELECT STUFF((SELECT ',[' + CAST(fldProductCode AS VARCHAR(255)) + ']'
               FROM tlkp_Product
                                    ORDER BY fldProductCode FOR XML PATH(''),TYPE).value('./text()[1]','VARCHAR(MAX)'),1,1,'')) AS VARCHAR(MAX))

You're a legend!  That worked for me!

• Luis Cazares - Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:55 AM

r.gall - Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:32 AM

I am trying to pull out a list of products from a product table, in the form of a comma separated and square bracket enclosed list. I then pass the list in to a pivot table so that in the future if any products are added or removed from the product table, the corresponding column is added/removed from the result set.

There's an easier way than replace. You just need to add some options to the XML.

INSERT INTO #tlkp_Product VALUES('32BAG'),('AB-WSSS'),('AF(H/L)1'),('SPEC&MORT'),('USForm 68');

SELECT @ColumnsForPivot = STUFF((SELECT ',' + QUOTENAME( CAST(fldProductCode AS VARCHAR(255)))
               FROM #tlkp_Product
               ORDER BY fldProductCode FOR XML PATH(''),TYPE).value('./text()[1]', 'varchar(max)'),1,1,'');

SELECT @ColumnsForPivot;
    GO

I also used the QUOTENAME function to prevent errors if you have square brackets in your column names.

+1 on the use of QUOTENAME

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • Luis Cazares - Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:55 AM

r.gall - Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:32 AM

FROM #tlkp_Product

SELECT @ColumnsForPivot;
    GO

It is a possibility that there could be square brackets in a name (or any character, as I made a type in my original post - the data type is NVARCHAR, not VARCHAR), so I'll add in the QUOTENAME bit too.

Thanks for your input!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply