Dynamic Management Functions

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Dynamic Management Functions

• Simple, yet good question, thank you Steve.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Good question, foiled by haste.

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• Easy question to start the week, thanks!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• For SQL Server 2008 R2 there is no valid answer, as sys.dm_exec_sessions does not contain the open tran count. But thanks to this, I have learned that this column is new in SQL Server 2012 πŸ™‚

Best Regards,

Chris BΓΌttner

• Christian Buettner-167247 (1/13/2014)

For SQL Server 2008 R2 there is no valid answer, as sys.dm_exec_sessions does not contain the open tran count. But thanks to this, I have learned that this column is new in SQL Server 2012 πŸ™‚

Chris:

You are correct. 2012 is where the open transaction field\count was added to the dm_exec_sessions. But you can get the transaction count in 2008 by joining (cross apply, join, etc.) with exec_requests and cross applying sql_text and query_plan to generate a "monitoring" tool.

However, this is a question I had on one of my tests and believe it or not, they took it directly from BOL and TechNet and I got it wrong because of the open tran count per session.:ermm:

• Another "easy" question that still managed to teach us something. Thanks Steve!

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Thanks for the question Steve. Good way to start the week.

Everything is awesome!

• Christian Buettner-167247 (1/13/2014)

For SQL Server 2008 R2 there is no valid answer, as sys.dm_exec_sessions does not contain the open tran count. But thanks to this, I have learned that this column is new in SQL Server 2012 πŸ™‚

+ 1. Nice question. Thanks!

• Great Question for a Monday. I do have to say that I had to research if Open Tran count was part of any version of sys.dm_exec_sessions contained Tran count before selecting an answer. 😎

• Sweat that one out. I must stop thinking everyone is out to trick me!

• Nice headscratcher, Steve - thanks!

• KWymore (1/13/2014)

Christian Buettner-167247 (1/13/2014)

+ 1. Nice question. Thanks!

+1

• Might be useful to state which SQL version, as some estates have several versions available.

Btw, isn't sys.dm_exec_cursors the only DMF, the others are DMV's?

I went with the only function as it looked like a trick question!

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply