Dynamic Audit Trigger

• Actually, the number of transactions we have is high, but this is the simplest solution considering the number of interfaces we have into our tables.  And, luckly the update statements are all single row and not multi.

• why that many temp tables?  can't you just

set @stmt = 'select @value = cast(' + @colname + '  as varchar(4000)) from inserted'

exec sp_executesql @stmt, '@value varchar(4000) OUTPUT', @value OUTPUT

set @stmt = 'select @oldvalue = cast(' + @colname + '  as varchar(4000)) from deleted'

exec sp_executesql @stmt, '@oldvalue  varchar(4000) OUTPUT', @oldvalue OUTPUT

I had to use the temp  tables, because when you run those statements you receive the error message:

Server: Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Invalid object name 'inserted'.

sp_executesql runs in a different space than the trigger and while it can pick up the temporary tables, it cannot pick up the virtual tables inserted/deleted

• you are right. But I was showing that you didn't need to insert in a temp table just to get the value of the column!

so:

set @stmt = 'select @value = cast(' + @colname + '  as varchar(4000)) from #tempins'

exec sp_executesql @stmt, '@value varchar(4000) OUTPUT', @value OUTPUT

set @stmt = 'select @oldvalue = cast(' + @colname + '  as varchar(4000)) from #tempdel'

exec sp_executesql @stmt, '@oldvalue  varchar(4000) OUTPUT', @oldvalue OUTPUT

seems better than:

create table #temp (x nvarchar(4000))

set @stmt = 'insert into #temp select ' + @colname + ' from #tempins'

EXEC sp_executesql @stmt

select @value = x from #temp

set @stmt = 'insert into #temp select ' + @colname + ' from #tempdel'

EXEC sp_executesql @stmt

select @oldvalue = x from #temp

drop table #temp

* Noel

• Maybe a little late but I contributed a script wich will audit any table.....

It looks if a specificv audit table is present, if it isn't it will create a (audit_) duplicate of the original table and create a trigger that wil record any change to the table in the audit table

I hope somebody finds it usefull.....

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply