Duration in Extended Events

• Hi Guys

I am wanting to get/filter on all queries and procs that take longer than 2 seconds to run (I'll balance real values later) but I'm not sure which Action out of the XE that I need.

I am using SQL Server 2014 and thought I had used sqlserver.sql_statement_completed.duration > 2000 in a previous version.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Alex

• Resolved!

IF EXISTS(SELECT * FROM sys.server_event_sessions WHERE name='long_running_queries')

DROP EVENT SESSION long_running_queries ON SERVER

GO

-- Create Event

CREATE EVENT SESSION long_running_queries

ON SERVER

-- Add event to capture event

ADD EVENT sqlserver.sql_statement_completed

(

ACTION (sqlserver.sql_text, sqlserver.tsql_stack)

WHERE duration > 2000 -- longer than 2 seconds

-- sqlserver.duration > 2000

AND sqlserver.database_id > 1 -- database filter placeholder for exanple

)

ADD TARGET package0.asynchronous_file_target

(

SET filename='c:\logs\long_running_queries.xet',

metadatafile='c:\logs\long_running_queries.xem',

max_file_size = 5,

max_rollover_files = 1000

);

-- Enable Event

ALTER EVENT SESSION long_running_queries ON SERVER

STATE=START

Originally I was referencing duration by sqlserver.duration rather than just duration.

Cheers for reading!

Alex

• One point. I'm pretty sure duration in extended events is in microseconds. You might want to capture >2000000.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Cheers Grant! I am getting spurious results anyway, it seems waitfor delay doesnt count as a long running query!

• It may be your filter on database id. I'm not sure for XE, but with Profiler, ad-hoc queries didn't get the database_id field populated.

Try removing that and, yes, as Grant mentioned, duration is in microseconds, so duration > 2000000

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I agree about the filter on the database id... and disagree. As much as possible you should have it interrupt sooner rather than later to take advantage of the great filtering. Database id is a good interrupt, if it's working. If it's not, as Gail said, pull it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply