Duplicate Subscriptions but with different parameter

• Hi forum,

First time post.

I am looking for some help with SSRS Running in SQL Standard 2019.

I have reports that are parameterised by store.

I need to schedule the emailing of reports, and have created one subscription for store 1.

Aside from the store number the rest of the subscription is the same, rather than creating 18 subscriptions manually is there any way of doing it either programatically, or duplicating the one I have and then setting the parameter?

Thanks in advance

Andy

• Have you looked at the SQL job that is created when you schedule a report?

You should be able to leverage that code to generate your set of 18 reports.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Hello Michael,

Thanks for your reply, are you referring to the SQL Server Agent Job?

If so this seems to contain none of the readable details of the job such as the method of delivery or more importantly the parameters.

Perhaps I am looking at the wrong place?

Thanks

Andy

• It should be possible. The stored procedure to create a subscription is ReportServer.dbo.CreateSubscription. You could either trace a call to the proc when creating a subscription via the RS Manager & emulate/modify that data, or query dbo.Subscriptions, dbo.Schedule, dbo.ReportSchedule, & dbo.Catalog to see what the data needs to look like.

As far as I can tell, that does not, however, create the SQL Agent job (named with a guid corresponding to ScheduleID) that appear to run a subscription on schedule.

SSRS Subscriptions and Delivery (Reporting Services) says "Reporting Services includes a scheduling and delivery processor, which provides functionality for scheduling reports and delivering them to users". But I consistently observed SQL Agent Jobs that directly correlate to the ScheduleIDs & schedule times of SSRS subscriptions, w/ a job step also named for ScheduleID, executing ReportServer.dbo.AddEvent w/ an @EventData parameter set to Schedule.EventData value. If required as it appears to be, and not somehow automatically created in response to creating the subscription via CreateSubscription, the script to create job would be easy enough to generate consistently.

http://blogs.lessthandot.com/index.php/datamgmt/datadesign/not-a-fan-of-the-report-manager-in-ssrs/

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/8e557da5-8f07-43f3-82a5-f691384472f5/creating-report-subscriptions-from-tsql-script?forum=sqlreportingservices

Obviously, none of this is recommended or supported by Microsoft.

• AndyK_UK wrote:

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your reply, are you referring to the SQL Server Agent Job?

If so this seems to contain none of the readable details of the job such as the method of delivery or more importantly the parameters.

Perhaps I am looking at the wrong place?

Thanks

Andy

Sorry. I kind of got lost with that answer.

When a subscription is created, the SQL job contains a call to the proc "AddEvent"

exec [ReportServer].dbo.AddEvent @EventType='TimedSubscription', @EventData='7163c9a3-6e00-442e-babc-92b48e9c115d'

The value for the @EventData parameter is the guid of the subscription, which is contained in the Subscription table.

The Subscription table contains a column named "Parameters".  You can either insert rows into this table with your different parameters, or execute the proc "CreateSubscription".

In the SQL Job, you can call the AddEvent proc 18 times with the different GUIDS.

Honestly, there are only 18, correct?  There's not really a compelling reason to do this programmatically unless the parameters need to be modified regularly.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• The ideal solution would be to upgrade to Enterprise Edition - and then you could use a data-driven subscription.  Or you could build out a process using powershell to automate generating and sending the reports.

You could then schedule that PS script to run through the agent or through task scheduler.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thank you Michael, Jeffrey and ratbak.

@ Michael - thanks that makes more sense now, from your original post I was thinking I would see the parameter in plain text in the SQL job, I did not realise the eventdata string was responsible for calling it.

I guess the follow on question, is if the fix is to create additional entries in the subscriptions table, how would you generate the values for subscription ID, Owner ID, as they look system generated?

You are correct that one report for 18 stores it sounds more hassle than it is worth, but I will have multiple reports so investing some time now may save me some in the future!

@ ratbak - thanks for sending those over, I will look further into those but suspect they may be a bit advanced for me!

@ Jeffrey - thanks for your feedback, enterprise is out of reach financially.

Many Thanks

Andy

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  AndyK_UK.
  • AndyK_UK wrote:

Thank you Michael, Jeffrey and ratbak.

@ Michael - thanks that makes more sense now, from your original post I was thinking I would see the parameter in plain text in the SQL job, I did not realise the eventdata string was responsible for calling it.

I guess the follow on question, is if the fix is to create additional entries in the subscriptions table, how would you generate the values for subscription ID, Owner ID, as they look system generated?

You are correct that one report for 18 stores it sounds more hassle than it is worth, but I will have multiple reports so investing some time now may save me some in the future!

@ ratbak - thanks for sending those over, I will look further into those but suspect they may be a bit advanced for me!

@ Jeffrey - thanks for your feedback, enterprise is out of reach financially.

Many Thanks

Andy

I guess you didn't read the second part of my post.  Enterprise Edition would be the ideal - but if that isn't possible you could also use powershell to execute the report with each parameter in the expected format.  And - you could basically do the same thing as a data-driven subscription, which is read from a table to process each row, execute the report and deliver the report through email or place it on a file share.

The only other requirement would then be how that script gets scheduled - which could be through an agent job or task scheduler.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi Jeffrey, sorry I did see that but I am not if 'building out a process' in Powershell is something that may be technically beyond me.

Thanks

Andy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply