Duplicate spids in sp_who

• Hi all.

I was looking through sp_who2 this morning and noticed something interesting

SPID  Status       Login HostName  BlkBy DBName  Command CPUTime DiskIO LastBatch       

94    sleeping     user  server     .    Midbase EXECUTE 50700   44    08/26 10:23:25

94    sleeping     user  server     .    Midbase EXECUTE 30     44    08/26 10:23:25 

94    sleeping     user  server    94    Midbase EXECUTE 20     44    08/26 10:23:25   

94    sleeping     user  server    94    Midbase EXECUTE 10     44    08/26 10:23:25   

94    sleeping     user  server    94    Midbase EXECUTE 30     44    08/26 10:23:25   

How can the same process ID appear  more than once. How can one process block itself?

Server is a 12 processor Itanium, 40GM memory running Server 2003 64 bit and SQL 2000 64 bit

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Parallellised queries can show up as multiple rows in sp_who2. I have experienced that DBCC commands often do this.

• Thanks, that makes sense.

What about the self-blocking? It's not having any visible effects on the server, the commands aren't running for very long, though they do run often (They're an app checking of a 'queue' for records to process)

I'd like to add maxdop to the query in question, but the SQL is generated by an application and can't be changed.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Sorry, no good answer for that I'm afraid. But I would probably guess it is more of a side-effect.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply